Browning Double Auto

Discussion in 'Browning Double Auto' started by Rudolph31, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I get stuff from all over: always sent as machined parts. Haven’t had any issues as of yet.
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

This one belongs to a guy at my local club and represents the second one I have ever seen in 45 yrs down under. His is an early production steel receiver too bit later number 965 and has the C 13 prefix stamped on gun with the desirable u channel rib like the book end. We think been via the custom shop at one time as it has the flush inlay owner shield with a name and dated 1956 and skip checkering. We didn't pay much for them as nobody here knows anything much and they are restricted ownership. His took bit of nutting out as it wouldn't load the second shot but turned out to be a part in back the front that could fit either way.
    Again I am always curious how they ever got here and survived all this time in the first place.

Attached Files:

3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Restricted ownership of a 2-shot shotgun? Would an over/under be restricted?
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I know crazy!!! Good place to live here unless you like guns or want to own one. In answer O/U are licensed too but you can have up to 12 Cat A firearms. eg 22 , break shotguns and bolt or pump centrefires. Autos, Pump Shotguns and Handguns are out unless you have a special concession, medical reason and licence condition .
    How you distinguish the difference between a pump shotgun and a pump 30/06 rifle being Ok and what it can do is beyond me.
    This is what happens when Politics goes mad.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Still ask Art about the springs when your there and anything Double Auto. I have friend in Florida who gets my parts and forwards them to a registered export broker. I have got parts from Art before for my Auto Five this way.
  6. Bruski

Bruski .410

In an attempt to keep the words flowing; does $1595 for a two barrel gun seem too much?
    One barrel longer and solid rib, the other vent rib and shorter.
    Haven't asked about chokes yet.
    Don't really have a need for it but...
    Your thoughts welcome.
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Bruski I am not really that up on the US prices for Double Auto at moment but you don’t see too many on GI. It appears there is lot more interest in US and definitely the collectibility following and $$ compared to here. For that price want to be in top order.
    The rare colours and vent or U channel ribs command the premium $$ 30” barrels themselves are rare as not many made.Have a look at Arts videos he has couple of very informative clips. The solid and vent ribs would be good to add a bit of weight as alloy guns are pretty light frames.
    As said before only 67000 made which is nothing compared to auto fives or model 11s etc so really not that many out there. Have a look on YouTube there is a guy in UK showing his off and it has a factory aluminium barrel. Now that’s out there thinking for the 50’s
    They are extremely well made and nicely hand fitted ,been inside a couple.I think they are truely quirky, unusual and represent a lot of concepts way ahead of their time . It’s also neat to have something out the normal especially in Browning.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Bruski,

That sounds pricey, but if it’s in excellent condition it’s probably worth it. I paid $700 for mine, but it cost another $300 to refinish the stock. I think the extra barrel was $150.

Unlike Auto-5’s, new barrels don’t just drop in on a DA. It took Art a good two minutes with a file to make mine work.
  9. Bruski

Bruski .410

Waiting on a response re barrel length and chokes.
    Guess we'll see.
  10. Bruski

Bruski .410

BTW that is $NZ
    $US = $1160
    $Aus = $1479
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

So, about what mine cost with the stock refinish and extra barrel. In excellent condition, I’d say it’s a fair price.

Here’s mine (again):

[​IMG]
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I would say fair for what your getting. If it looks as fancy as Rudolph’s your laughing. That’s a nice looking piece nice condition.
  13. Bruski

Bruski .410

Well, gave up waiting for gun shop to respond and called them.
    Was told VR barrel was 27" and mod. choke.
    Solid rib is 29" and full choke.
    This doesn't match up with Browning spec's.
    At a loss to know what to do at this point.
    (Gun also does not have any engraving).
    S/No. I'm told is C24227 if anyone has info. would be welcome.
    Cheers B. and thanks.
  14. Bruski

Bruski .410

15. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Bruski ,
    Link is Ok
    Browning Barrels from Belgium are Metric length not Inches so the sizes quoted would be correct and would be 700mm =27 1/2" and 762mm = 29 1/2"
    This is a much later model steel receiver job than ones I have posted images . Be a grade 1.
    Rudolph is by far the best person I have seen on this forum for researching and finding out things.
    From what I have found out records are sketchy for D Auto's. C is for Steel Receiver and be 1958 production.
    Be a few DA's in NZ as there was a large Browning distributor based in Duniden.
    Period case is a neat addition, I would be all over this myself. Good barrel and choke choices for a bit of clay busting or hunting. Gun itself has seen some use from the bluing and wear around the loading port but nothing outrageous. Nice piece of wood on the back end with bit of feature above what I have seen std on them. Would lend itself to a nice resto re blue and re finish wood project. You already have spare plate on book case.
    I would try my hand at knocking the dealer/seller down a bit on price as it isn't something that they are going to flog off easy to the first person that comes along and play the line its only a grade 1 and plain .
    Only real Browning enthusiasts know the history and much of Double Auto's. I have said before they are extremely well built and finished in my opinion and I have been inside a couple and would consider them every bit as good inside and robust as any Auto 5.
    Have a look over on Shotgun World on the browning forum and youtube to get a bit more background.
    Hope this is helpful.
  16. Bruski

Bruski .410

Thanks for your reply. Still trying to work out details on this.
    Do all D.A. barrels fit all D.A. guns?
    I ask this as I would want a skeet barrel as well. If it is model specific then maybe not an option.
    The link suggests this is a twelvette but has a steel receiver, is this likely?
    Would love to click buy now now but questions, questions, etc.
    All help more than helpful.
    Thanks B.
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

To my knowledge DA barrels are all same but might require a careful and patient swipe with file and bit of marking blue to get the right neat fit in the barrel iron retainer. Good gunsmith can do this if your not confident. You don’t want it flopping and flogging around at all and can feel the fit quality through barrel rotation with bolt locked back open as a guide.
    Another good thing I know of to check is the forend pin fit through front spring retainer alloy nut and the length adjustment and play determines the forend click tension as too loose or too tight and willl ultimately save you split timber halves. Seen results of a poor fit and not pretty. The alloy nut holes can become stretched oval.
    I think when they re vamped went lighter and alloy receivers and colours , along with gauge options they got marketed as twelvettes. Steel receivers disappeared around 1959. It will just be somebody calling it a twelvette as they know no better.
    I am no expert but few things I learned along the way and might help. Look at sticky posts for double auto on shotgun world. Plenty of good info there.
  18. Bruski

Bruski .410

Damn now down to $900 NZ. ($847Au/$649US).
    Now I'm really conflicted.
    How common are skeet barrels for this?
    What to do? What to do?
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks like a deal to me. But, are you limited as to the number of shotguns you can own? That’s a bigger consideration than the price.
  20. Bruski

Bruski .410

No limits here as to number. Some limits on capacity and/or actions.
    Shop in question has another D.A. but as rough as.
    May check choke on that (plain barrel so hoping maybe skeet) and see about a total price.
    Receiver looks to be alloy so could create a hybrid gun with all the best parts.
    (This may mark me with the number of the beast).