Finally found a straight stock

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thanks for doing that . I will be right onto it as down to last wad finger guide for the 375
    Ranger6 likes this.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Ranger I might have an extra 375 you could try out. It has the old tooling but it works great. I think my sister is driving back to ND this month and I could send it with her is she has room. You’d probably have to go to Katy to get it though
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Win7 what gauge is it? What do you want for it? I would go get it, if she has room. I’ve never used anything but mec, so would be nice to try something else. I’ve heard good things about them
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Let me know if you need any help with it. I don’t have a problem ordering it for you and sending it if you run into a snag with them. Just need a part number.
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

The .410 A5 concept/project is still in the preliminary figuring-things-out stage. As I have pondered the concept, and ran the idea past some pretty smart people, the general thoughts are a .410 wouldn't create enough horsepower to move a barrel far enough to replicate an A5s long-recoil system.If I made the barrel out of aluminum (with a steel liner?) maybe I could get away with it. I have an actual physics professor that said he would crunch some numbers.

But, without further adue......back to topic on hand.

And Idaho is pretty well back to pre-media-induced-frenzy times. A guy can't throw a bowling ball without hitting a "help wanted" sign.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I could probably let my extra 12 gauge press go
  7. Ranger6

Let me know what you want for it?
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Bill , thanks for Idaho economic wrap up. By sound of things be right for my ponsness parts now business as normal. I have seen a clip on YouTube where guy in UK has a Browning double auto with an aluminium barrel. Rare factory experiment. I will be watching to see if your project goes next step and gets wings. As one who is into a bit of machining I have a full appreciation of the undertaking.
  9. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thanks for kind offer Ranger. If I get stuck n need help will call. Have a look at the C series dies for 375 on ponsness site. Be worth the coin later on.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

When did they do away with the square springs? Guessing this one needs to be replaced

[​IMG]
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My 1924 has a square spring, the 1930, round.
  12. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I have a thread posted on Shotgunworld (I think) where the guy from France documents the change was late 1924.

I that spring in the picture is about gone, but I have seen new ones that measured an even 9", so...................it might have a little life left in it. I would save it for an older one that needed an accurate restoration that might not be a shooter, but a safe queen.

But that's just me.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The spring length looks good to me. 16 gauge springs are supposed to be 8.6”.

[​IMG]
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Rudolph. I’m going to roll with it and see how it cycles once I get it cleaned up
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Finally got it tore down and did an inspection. It was pretty dirty but everything looked good. It’s missing the friction ring so I’ll have to order one of those. Thursday night I will shoot some skeet with it.
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.