Gun fitting

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Just a little something I learned today. I have a early 1900’s Stevens sxs hammer gun 12 gauge that was handed down to me from my great grand father. Still has a tight lock up and very good over all condition considering it’s been hunted hard and then stored under a bed for 30 years. When I got it, of course I went to the skeet field and couldn’t hit shit. So next went to the pattern board( should of started there). Gun shoots 8” left and low. Well shit, now what? Back to skeet field and tried to compensate. Not happening for me. Next I called brileys and talked with gun Smith and was told yea we see that all the time outta the old sxs. Drop it off and we will put some off set chokes in it. I asked what would be done it it didn’t correct it and the guy laughed and said “ we have been doing chokes for 40 years”. Ok not comforting to me and you didn’t answer my question. So I decided to take it to an old gun fitter, Smith. He had me mount it and then looked down the barrel. Matter of 15 sec. He then said ok give it to me. He put it on the bench, pulled a butt pad out of a drawer and started taping it to the stock, then he added about 2” of height to the comb. Looked like Frankenstein. This took him no more then 5 min. He looked at me and said you know how to paint a pattern board? I said yea sure. So he handed me a can of spay paint and said out the door to the left. I’m thinking ok, what the hell is going on. I did so without saying a word. I painted the pattern board and headed back inside. He met me at the door with a hand full of shells. He said come on we’re gonna do some magic. Once again I thought ok yea right. Well I mounted the gun and squeezed the trigger and son of a bitch the pattern was dead on. I thought ok, no way. So I said Larry can I do that again, I don’t believe this shit. He said yes I got a whole box, we will shoot until your happy. So I fired several more and damn same place. Dead center of orange dot on board. I said ok I’m a believer, but what about left barrel.
    He said have at it. So I fired left barrel at other board and damn it, it covered the orange dot. I said ok you got my business. So long story to say this, if you have a shotgun that you can’t shoot, it’s well worth the money and time to have it fitted by someone that knows what they are doing.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

It’s got to shoot where your looking.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes sir. I wasn’t a believer until today. I shoot most just fine, never had one I couldn’t do at least 23 on the field. With this one it was 23 just misses.
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Adding height to the comb like that will make you shoot more heads up keeping barrel in peripheral and eyes fixed on the target. Glad it worked for you. Gun fit is vital and often underestimated important part of the game
  5. Ranger6

I have learned that tonight. I took along a new stock as the original is cracked. The new stock will require less height adjustment, so Smith said he would rather do new stock incase it needs some cast, as the old stock will probably not take it. The new stock is a nice walnut, he is gonna fit, sand, make adjustments to it and then let me shoot it. Then if all is well he will checker and finish. Sounded reasonable to me.
    Will be after Christmas before I get it back
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Sounds like your in good hands. Gun fit is a very personal thing and one thing I have learned especially fitting up kids is that everybody is shaped different see things different and require constant re assessing as they grow right up to 21yrs. I expect you will be putting down 25’s no trouble.
  7. Ranger6

That would be super cool. You don’t see many hammer guns anymore. I’m already in more then it’s worth, but the sentimental valve is what’s carry me now
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

It’s good to be different. That’s what keeps you inspired and the audience guessing. Tell them your hammer gun is part of a new secret training gun fit regime for skeet. Before long someone else will show up with one.
  9. Ranger6

Ha good idea. There is one other old school that shoots a LC Smith hammer in 16. It’s not mine by no lack on my part. I normally show up with old shit to shoot, I always get asked how old is that one. Usually get strange looks when I say over 100 years old
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

What raises the eyebrows and stakes is when you put runs on the board with your well fitted 100yr old ugly stick and they realise the 20k Kreighoff or Kolar isn’t necessary or mandatory . Oh and extra bonus you get to rub it in
    antman73 likes this.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The owner of my sporting clays course is a master line that too. The guns look like hell like you said but it amazed me what a cut up pool noodle and a slip on pad did for me with one of my Citoris.

He also refuses to give lessons if the gun hasn’t been fit to the shooter. Makes sense to me as my scores went up big time after I had my gun fit. Another thing that blows my mind is my weight is like a yo-yo. If I can a few extra pounds my face gets fatter and it affects my scores.
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

One of the first places you gain or loose weight is your face so any change there directly effects your comb height face relationship on the stock and alignment /looking height down and above the rib. Gunfit is like patterning your gun. Anybody who doesn’t assess both regularly is kidding themselves. We all age , grow, move up and down in weight etc.
  13. Ranger6

So little update on the stevens(Frankenstein). Just got it back today with new wood( not finished yet), so I can shoot a little with new stock comb raised, and some cast in the stock. Didn’t post a picture of the stock before, but it had no cast and was shooting about 8 inches to the left. Here is the cast now. Do t know if you can tell it in the picture, but it’s a huge difference. Gunsmith said stock was a bitch. If I can shoot it now, he will finish, checker and prob hand rubbed oil finish. O and remove small dent in the barrel.
    So question of the day is do I rust blue the barrels and do case colors or just finish wood. I kinda like the pantina look., and it’s not an Auto 5

Attached Files:

win7stw likes this.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Looks good buddy. Personally I’d fix the dent in the barrel and leave the metal as is. A nice matte finish on the lumber would bring it all together IMO
  15. Ranger6

Thanks Justin, if I can do my part I think it will be a good shooter.
  16. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Nice old gun and update to the story. You should do couple of shots on board as well as sticking it to the skeet targets just to convince yourself nothing has changed POI wise since last playing around before you final finish off.
  17. Ranger6

shot it today and hit 23 out 25 on skeet field. So big difference, but I will put it on paper. POI has changed about 8 inches right in right barrel and about 5 inches right in left barrel, which is why I had the work done. Couldn't hit broad side of a barn with the damn thing. Now I'm knocking at the barn door. My grand father is pissed though, cause he couldn't hit shit either, but he would have never spent the money to have it fitted. BS in his mind.
  18. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Sounds like you have it sorted. Now the trick is to run the 100 with it at your next comp. Then you will have some instant fans.
    Old guy I shoot with was a master stock fitter at the finest doubles houses in Birmingham UK. I have seen him do a favour the real old school traditional English way to a Manson SXS and have to bend and steam clamp things in all directions to help with getting that elusive custom fit and mount. The Kings Fit he called it. You appreciate when you see it done at that level why it’s is a profession and art itself
    Ranger6 likes this.