1989 Auto 5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by miscverb, Feb 21, 2021.

1. miscverb

miscverb Copper BB

came across a auto 5 for sale with the PN151 code. Which I think is 1989 magnum 12. only thing that has me a bit confused is the stock has the round hand grip. Could this be a anomaly or a replacement stock?

Attached Files:

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Rudolph31 is your man for the dates, wood and etc. I don’t have anything that new anymore. I did have 1988 DU that had the same kind of stock and I’m sure it was original. The butt pad on yours looks in really good condition, it looks like it has had little use. I know the knob and checkering changed when it all went to Japan. The old school ones were done by hand in Belgium. I’m sure Rudolph31 will be along in the am.
    If you don’t mind me asking what are they asking? Don’t really know of a market( except duck hunters) on the 12 mag. I have an early one, it weighs like 9lbs. Not a joy to carry all day.
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

There were some specific A5s that were made that had a "round butt" stock well after the original round butt stocks were discontinued (in 1967 or so). In 1989 FN made the "Centenary" model, which had a round butt-but I don't think they were offered in 3" magnum. In 1999 Browning A5s made at the Miroku facilities in Japan sold what was called the "Final Tribute" with a round butt. I thought they only made ten 12 gauge and ten 16 gauge. The 1999 Miroku A5s as I recall were really limited---somewhere like 100 of each--and were highly engraved, fancy wood, etc. (The Miroku ones were actually shipped to FN for their engraving.)
    But this one being a magnum....................?..........................
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

PN is the code for 1989, and 151 is the code for the Magnum Twelve. The fact that it appears last in the sequence indicates that it was made in Japan. Although by ‘89 they all were.

The square knob stock was introduced by FN in 1967. But somewhere along the line the Japanese resurrected the round knob. Those I’ve seen have a different checkering pattern last seen (I think) in the 1920’s. Here’s a picture of mine from 1924.
    [​IMG]

If yours looks like that it’s probably the original. Also, the serial number may be on the stock, but you’ll have to remove it to find out. And for some reason, the Japanese torqued that screw in there so tight you may need a breaker bar to loosen it.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Pretty sure that is an original stock. I had one around the same vintage a few years ago and that was a round knob.
  6. miscverb

miscverb Copper BB

i checked various pics, and it does appear that the 89 mag had a rounded grip.