This one is going to test me

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 3, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

One more attempt tomorrow. If it doesn’t work I’m going to poor gas on it and burn it
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

If it was me, I would put it aside for a while and reflect on it. I am certain something positive to share with us will come out of this. Imagine, we have now 4 pages of intense discussion on a simple damaged Browning auto 5 forearm. How about you make a clean cut in the cracked wood in you try to wedge a matching piece of walnut. I thing we can add another 10 pages of discussion.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I would walk away if Covid-19 would go away or if the weather here would get better. I will get it, I’m too stubborn to let it beat me.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well it’s glued up. It’s not the prettiest but it’ll work. Will post pictures when I get the glue cleaned up
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Don’t have to be pretty to work and the game or targets won’t know the difference. Good job
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well it needs a bit more sanding and a couple dents steamed out but it’s about ready to finish. I used JB weld for the two small cracks and Titebond Quick and Thick for the long cracks. Still debating fiberglassing the inside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

The prognsis after such a major surgery looks good!! Did the reinforcing strip that is glued in cross the grain inside break or break loose as well?
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yeah the reinforcing strip was in shambles before I started the acetone soak. I will fire up the bandsaw and cut a new piece. I just need to make a jig so I can steam it and form it right.
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks amazing. Wish I had the talent and the time.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I wish I had more time too. I put the kids to bed and tinker for an hour or two a night. I’m lucky enough I can do some of the work at my job on my breaks. It helps having a machinist and a supervisor that love guns.
  11. Ranger6

Yep. I work in a small shop with just the owner, who I rarely see. I work on all kinds of gun stuff. I rebuilt a reloader this week. He just looked at me and said” shotgun stuff”. I said would it be anything else. He just laughed and went back in his office.
  12. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

This is another really good thread. Lots of great info. I picked up a beater that has potential to become a favorite shooter for me. It’s got a crack in the fore end. Played with it a bit and started playing out how to glue it. Knew that if I tried to glue and wrap it with surgical tubing the “wings” at the top would be squeezed with the same force as what I needed for the crack on the bottom so I pulled out the calipers and Dremel and made a wedge to fit inside. It’s snug enough that the top won’t be able to move against the squeezing force I need at the crack.

Question I have is this. I plan to refinish this piece. Can I glue it now and refinish later (strip, acetone soak, stain, etc) or will all that work destroy my repair job?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That’s basically how I do the repair. I use a 1” piece of steel round stock with a piece of 1/4 flat stock tacked to it to keep the wings from folding in. I said the hell with tubing and use heavy duty ty wraps now.
    Superglue won’t hold up to an acetone soak
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Strip, repair, refinish. End of discussion
    rcatastrophe likes this.
  15. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Good deal. Thanks Justin. I’ll get started on it in the coming days or week. Gotta take some before pics to document this “journey”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    win7stw likes this.