New Deer Riffle

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well as the title says. My new deer riffle arrived today. Still missing some pieces, but will be here soon. Guessing this will raise some eyebrows, so more to follow once the shock has settled.

Attached Files:

Auzzie likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

Ranger,
    Forgive my ignorance, what kind of rifle is that? Does it work by air propulsion? There is some kind of air pressure indicator on your sophisticated rifle.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes sir. This is the 45 cal air force texan, most powerful pcp air riffle. This one is a .457 and the tank on the rear is carbon fiber filled to 3625 psi. There are several grain bullets, I have ordered 295 and 350 gain hallow point bullets. Depending on bullet weight it will exit the barrel at around 1100 fps with as much as 800 ft lbs of energy. Several videos out there. Pretty amazing what can be done with air. These are legal here in Texas to hunt deer. I got this for my daughter to shoot a deer this year, I may just use it also. Still waiting on scope, refill tank and bullets. This stuff is pretty expensive but guys are shoot these out to 1000 yards.
  4. Ranger6

There is a place called Utah air guns that specialize in these things. There are all kinds of options to add, like AR-15. Even have muzzle brakes and silencers. These are becoming legal to hunt game with in lots of states. Now they do have limits, however, I found a video of a 8 point buck dropped with one of these at 140 yards. Most of my shots would be under 100 yards.
    O forgot to add. This one weighs 6 lbs without scope. 39” barrel with 1:20 twist. Length of pull is 13.5 now for my daughter but can be adjusted and addition pad added to make pretty much what you need.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

Pretty neat, I never thought you can reach such velocity with "air gun". Is there a lot of noise when the bullet exits the barrel? Can you refill the thank? Do you foresee a military usage?
  6. Ranger6

I haven’t fired it yet. When I called Air Force(manufacture) they said it’s comparable to a 410 in recoil and I have seen a db meter that measures 120db when fired. Now if like me, I said ok how loud is that- google shows rock concert is 120db. The normal human voice is about 65db. The suppressor is suppose to make a huge difference. As far as military, that’s possible I guess. Not sure it will be anytime soon. Some states( California) of course require a special permit. That may soon change.
    Yes you can refill the tank. I will get a larger carbon fiber tank to fill with in the woods. With a 75cuft tank you can get about 60 refills. The small tank on the riffle depending on bullet weight will give you 3-5 shots before refill. There is also compressors that you can buy to fill your refill tank. They are about 9-1200 bucks. Refill tank runs around 600. The compressor can be connected to vehicle battery. If big tank is empty it will take approximately 60 min to refill completely. May seem like a lot, but hopefully it shouldn’t take more then 1 shot.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That is so cool. As someone who works with pneumatics daily I can appreciate that. Please be careful with that high of pressure
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

9. Ranger6

Bullets showed up today. This is a 350 grain hallow point.

Attached Files:

10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This might be the neatest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Are you sure 350 grains is enough? That’ll be like a freight train hitting a deer. Can’t wait to hear how it shoots
  11. Ranger6

They offer over 400 grain. I also bought 296 grain. I went with what the manufacture said was the most accurate. We will see how it shoots. I thought it was pretty neat also. Everything is pretty expensive. Just like a new shotgun. Fill tank will be here Friday. Hopefully I can get my daughter to the range this weekend, if it’s not to cold. She does not have the same tolerance for being miserable.
  12. Ranger6

Got the new scope added to the Texan. Fill tank should be here tomorrow.

Attached Files:

13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Do they require a special scope? Never heard of that brand before
  14. Ranger6

Yes sir air riffle is a different game. I’m learning as I go. I called and talked to guys at Utah air guns. These guys eat, sleep and shit air riffles. Spent about an hour on the phone with them on this scope. They said this is the best scope under 1000.00 dollars. I bout had heart attack when he said that, 1000 dollar scope on air riffle!!!!!
    I haven’t had it out yet, but glass is pretty nice, great clarity. We will see if it holds zero. The compressor is next, then I can fill at home.
  15. Ranger6

Ok it’s official a browning now. White line butt pad installed. 74cuft air tank also arrived.

Attached Files:

16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So when are you going to shoot that hot rod?
  17. Ranger6

If all goes well with paint ball place filling tank then Sunday. Scope mounted, bore sighted and ready to go. Just need air
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nice. I can’t wait to see your groups
  19. Ranger6

Yep kinda excited to see what it will do. Hope it has decent group at 100 yards. There are places that offer what’s called a power tune. Suppose to improve accuracy a lot.
    I’m sure it will be better then my sks with open sights.
  20. Ranger6

Well shit, went to fill tank on riffle and valve leaks. Will not hold air. Leaking from tx2 valve- not serviceable. Back to airforce it goes.