16 papers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Justin did you try the light setting? Or what did you end up doing to make them cycle?
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I did try the light setting and still no go. I had a double auto. I put a Kent Gamebore in first followed by a the paper handload. I shot one partridge with my first paper and one rooster needed an insurance shot because I dropped his legs on the first shot. I shot s porcupine with one too. They other two I made I basically wasted. I put a new friction ring and spring kit in this gun. I might put an old wire out spring in and try again
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I got some info from skeet on 16ga forum. He told me to try Green Dot.

The paper Cheds have the same internal volume as a Federal hull. Alliant calls for 1-1/8 ounce of shot in a 2-3/4 Fed hull with SP16 over 19 grains of Green Dot and a Fed 209A primer.

He suggested I start at 16 grains of Green Dot. So my loads are 1 ounce with BPI SG16 wad over 16 grains Green Dot with a Ched primer in a 2-1/2” roll crimped paper Ched hull.

I made 3 with 16 grain and 3 with 16.5 grains and they wouldn’t cycle my ‘39 on the light setting. I am going to work up in .5 grain increments.

The one ounce loads I did with 20/28 in a plastic Ched hull cycled the gun fine
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Justin you should be good with green dot, actually forgot about that powder. I have loaded 18.5 grains of green dot in plastic 2 1/2 cheddite.
    I can’t see why 17. Or 17.5 would be anything to worry about.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

10-4 I’ll give it a go next week
  6. Ranger6

On second thought, I think it would be best for you to pack those papers up and send to me. I wouldn’t want you to wear out the 39 or your shoulder
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I tried 17 and 17.5 grains and still not cycling the ‘39. I will be trying 18 and 18.5 tomorrow.
  8. Ranger6

Have you tried a hotter primer?
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

No those paper hulls are pre primed with Cheds. Haven't reloaded any yet
  10. Ranger6

O ok. You could de-prime one and re-prime just to try it
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I could but I’m kind of like electricity. I like to take the path of least resistance
  12. Ranger6

Well you still got some room to add grains. If I hear back on my papers I will give it a whirl
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Still waiting on him huh?
  14. Ranger6

Yea it takes him awhile, but will be worth the wait. I’ll probably buy all he has, one and done
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I had success today. I got the papers to cycle on the light setting. I used 18.2 grains of Green dot. Wouldn’t go on the heavy setting though. Might send them off to be tested
  16. Ranger6

Sweet. I got email from Russell today. Papers are boxed up. Money order going out in the morning.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good deal. You are going to love them
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

They crimp so nice with the Gaep crimper. Take small passes if you trim or they get a rough edge
  19. Ranger6

Thanks good tip. I can’t wait till they get here. Probably just look at them and droll on them for a few days.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

How many are you getting? What did they run you?