2 1/2 cheddite 12 gauge

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well since win7 bought up all the papers in 16 I thought I would work on some 12 gauge 2 1/2 for the old Stevens. These are from Ballistic products, cheddite and they are the clear plastic. One is a 7/8 oz and the other is 1 oz. should be around 6000 psi. They were rolled with a crimper from precision.

Attached Files:

2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Those look pretty damn good. How do you like their crimper?
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

It seems to work pretty well. Need to do a little more practice with it. Slight difference in pressure applied, then with the gaep. The plastic on these don’t seem to be as thick as the 16 gauge cheddite. Guess I need to measure. It may be just me. Crimp is a little to deep but I’m gonna shoot them, and then adjust from there
  4. Ranger6

The 2 1/2 12 gauge ones are .030 wall thickness, but skived at the top. The 16 gauge are.027 wall thickness 2 3/4 cut to 2 1/2 so not skived when trimmed. That would explain the pressure difference when rolling them.
  5. Ranger6

Ok worked on some RST shells tonight with a new load using American select and fold crimp. 7/8 oz light load. Got my new mec set up for them. Thought I would make some spreader loads, but the spreader disc make horrible crimps( more to follow).
    Anyone else loading these in 12 gauge. When resizing with the 600 the resized hull gets a big fat no go on the sizing gauge. Little tight in the chamber on the Stevens. Had a similar issue with some 20 gauge hulls. Ended up getting a super sizer, problem fixed.

Attached Files:

6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

A PW 375 would solve your problems
  7. Ranger6

Does it have the collet style?
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

They have a re-sizing die
  9. Ranger6

Since it’s so quite on here lately thought I would post some more on the 12 gauge for the old Stevens sxs. The old girl has a tendency to shoot left on low. At 30 yards it’s about 6” left, out of the right barrel. Not so bad out of the left barrel. So to see if I can correct this some what with a spreader load. First I tried the disk. Didn’t work for me. Crimps were horrible. Tried overshot card, tried putting shot on top and didn’t seem to matter.

Attached Files:

10. Ranger6

So round two. I finally got these from graf’s today so thought would see how they looked. I’m using a light drop of American select at 15.5 grains. Little over 1 oz of shot, #9 as I will be using them on the skeet field. As you can see RST hull. The spreader wad is somewhat a pain in the ass to put in the hull. The drop tube on my 600 crushes the wad so they are inserted by hand for now.

Attached Files: