Greetings from the Netherlands!

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by R.G. Shaw, May 31, 2020.

1. R.G. Shaw

R.G. Shaw .22LR

Hi All,

I found this forum after a Google search for "Browning Forum." Looks very good!
    I am an American, now living in the Netherlands since 2001- grew up with firearms (strictly for hunting or target) and learned gun safety at a very young age. We had a pair of Browning over and unders- 12 and 20 gauge matching shotguns- beautiful pieces of engineering!

I was a firearms instructor while teaching in the US in the early 80's - and have now agreed to purchase a Browning Hi Power with shoulder stock and holster from a collector near us in Limburg. I have always been interested in WWI and WWII firearms and history- living so close to where much of the fighting took place is fascinating! Seeing the Point du Hoc cliffs and the Belgian Ardennes surrounding Bastogne... talking to the people who live there... one of my main interests now is keeping history alive for the next generation.....
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Southwest Idaho says Hi and welcome!!
    R.G. Shaw likes this.
  3. R.G. Shaw

R.G. Shaw .22LR

Thank you !!
  4. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Welcome! There are a lot of B25 aficionados in the Netherlands. I have 1 B25 that was transformed by a former gunsmith for Graziani Gun Shop. He passed away several years ago before I learned he was one of the best gunsmiths in Holland. So if you learn anything about Leon Close ( or Cloes) I hope you’ll pass it along. I know there is another good B25 smith who does 3-pc forearm work, but I cut ties with the source for his name before I learned it.

Thanks for checking in and we look forward to having feet on the ground in Europe.
    R.G. Shaw likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I just noticed the B25 avatar. For those who don’t know, there’s the B25 Superposed and the B25 Mitchell. Pretty cool!
    R.G. Shaw likes this.
  6. R.G. Shaw

R.G. Shaw .22LR

This Mitchell bomber is in the Oorlogsmuseum in Overloon / War Museum in Overloon. Great place to visit- they have a good collection of vehicles, uniforms, a variety of firearms, and several tanks, half tracks, etc. Normally in the middle of May they have an event called "Half tracks" where they pull out all the vehicles, start them up and take tours in the area allowing the public to ride on these relics. Sadly, the coronavirus stopped that this year....

We live only about 20 minutes away by car, the museums and restaurants just opened up again yesterday :))

I have heard of the Graziani gunshop - in Emmerich just across the line, but I've never been there... Leon Cloes... yes I will pass it olong.