Shotgun for newbie shooting trap and skeet.

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Tim Lange, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Tim Lange

Tim Lange .22LR

I have been invited to a trap and skeet fun shoot, just need to have a shotgun. I know nothing! I have a pistol, starting shooting pistols last year. Shot my dad's semi-auto 16 gauge about 50 years ago. Remember it has a knob at the end of barrel to adjust choke.

Gal that invited me says to get an under/over or semi-auto 12 gauge and bring steel shot. Was at Dicks yesterday, the sales boy was not helpful, saw Beretta's for $700. Could not find steel shot on the shelf, nothing was marked so assumed lead.

Your thoughts for a newbie for a shotgun for trap and skeet?

Best,

Tim.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

If you’re not sure that you’re going to stick to this sport, I’d opt for something cheap like a Mossberg 500. It’s a pump, but it’s reliable and you’ll be able to hit with it. Stay away from inexpensive Over/Under’s; if you decide to get one later, buy a quality gun like a Browning or a Beretta.

Steel or other non-toxic shot is required in the US for waterfowl hunting. SOME ranges also require it — I’d avoid those, if possible. You’ll need # 7 1/2 or 8 size shot, it might not be easy to find in steel; ask your girlfriend where she gets hers.
  3. gnappi

gnappi .22LR

I think if possible borrowing (or renting if available at a local range) a shotgun and spending some time at a range will be a good idea. Owning can come later if you decide you'd like to pursue it. Buying the wrong shotgun is a sure way to be turned off of the sport.

At any rate, your profile doesn't say where you are but if you were in South Florida, I'd be happy to let you have a go with one of my pumpers or autos.
  4. Kevin Parsons

Kevin Parsons Copper BB

I too am new to trap shooting - maybe skeet will come later. I think, if possible, gnappi has a good idea about borrowing or renting first. I am a pistol shooter (IDPA & USPSA) and when I decided to jump into those disciplines I quickly bought a gun I "thought" would be a good choice but in the case of USPSA I found my choice was no where near optimal which cost me another gun (my wife did not understand that move, duh). Likewise, true to my MO I have a Citori CTX on order to begin my trap adventures. Not sure if it will be a good fit but I figure, at my age (67), I can shoot it enough to make myself fit the gun. That's the plan anyway.