X prefix 16’s

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve got two of those, a 1938 and the 1948. If I run across one with a trigger guard safety that is marked, I may buy it. Those actually had a shorter production run than the unmarked guns.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

At the last local gun show I passed on a marked sweet with trigger guard safety......
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

When I saw that Art’s was selling it I knew I couldn’t afford it. But I wasn’t prepared for $3500. Yikes!
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice, but I bet it don’t shoot no better then my sweet 16. That’s a whole lot of skeet rounds.
    win7stw likes this.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yikes is right. It’s a little too rich for me
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It looks to me like the gun has a replacement Breech Block. Prior to 1951 they had the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial number.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Dang, I just bought a 1934 16... This one needs a mag extension anyway.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I can’t remember but what do you need the extension for? Was it bowling pin shooting?
  11. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Damn almost 4 grand. Guess someone will buy it, just not me. It’s gotta be special, like I can live in it or maybe it could go to work for me special for that kind of money.
  12. browning90va

browning90va Copper BB BANNED

That gun arts has was ordered with that second barrel, matched to the receiver. It should letter that way. I saw the gun before it was refinished. What do you guys honk it is worth?
  13. Ranger6

To who would be the question. We have all overpaid for things at times. He will get close to asking price from someone. As far as a collector, who knows. Will get what ever someone is willing to pay to have it. As a shooter..... really expensive. I think gun prices are way over rated, most think theirs is worth more then it actually is.
    win7stw likes this.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I agree Ranger. However if I had some extra fun money laying around that gun would be mine. I generally buy the cheap ones knowing that I am not going to make money off them
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I use the extension on one of my 12’s for that. But I do like to load 4 for “Double Doubles” at Crazy. But it was a joke about adding an extension to a 3-Shot.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

When I saw the gun I thought $2500. Now Art’s works wonders restoring these guns to look factory new. But in my opinion, a restored gun is never worth as much as a similar gun in original, pristine condition.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I agree 100 percent. Do you think barrels or other parts get re-stamped at Arts?
  18. Ranger6

I know they can put serial numbers on things. Don’t think they remove and re-stamp. Two barrels not really that great for me. I will take one barrel with chokes over 2 barrels.
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I would doubt it. Art and his sons are honest craftsmen.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good to know. Wish I would have known about Art last time I drove through that area