Browning Hi Power Handgun Reviews

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Billythekid, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Post all of the Browning Hi Power Handgun reviews here...
  2. sirgilligan

sirgilligan Copper BB

I have two Browning Hi-Power 9mm pistols. Both 2009 models. One with fixed sights and one with adjustable. I bought them both new and within about 3 months of each other.

I was frustrated with some other firearms I had and I said to myself, "I am going back to the brand that has never disappointed, the brand of my first firearm, back to Browning."

Once you shoot the Browning Hi Power, especially after shooting other 9mm pistols, you may say like I said, "This is the best shooting pistol I have ever fired!". Now, what does best mean in this context? First, the feel. The Hi-Power feels great. Next, pointability, that might not be a word, but the Hi-Power points like an extension of my hand. The sights are easy to find. With the factory magazines the trigger is excellent on both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am a software engineer. Because of the issues that lead to my buying the Hi-Powers I had developed some software to track weapon failures. Since then I have been tracking my shooting sessions. I am proud to say that neither Hi-Power has had any type of failure. None. No kind.

Here is some of the data from my range sessions with the fixed sight Hi-Power, a Vigilante.

I always shoot free standing. The grip is a two handed grip. The stance is similar to a modified Weaver stance. I stand and hold based on what is comfortable to me that supports my follow up shot.

This is 17 rounds fired at the five different bulls-eyes on this target.
    [​IMG]

This record shows the distance at 7 yards using PMC ammo:
    [​IMG]

Here are some results from other firing sets that I keep in my Gun Log:
    Session : DG&A
    Date : Jan 14, 2012
    Weapon : Vigilante Browning Hi-Power 9 mm
    Configuration: Factory Setup
    Ammo : PMC 9 mm FMJ 115
    Firing Method:
    Firing Stance:
    Rounds Fired: 17
    Distance: 7
    Group Size: 1.5
    Target Reference Number:
    Point of Impact Location:
    Point of Impact Distance: 0
    Point of Aim Location:
    Point of Aim Distance: 0
    Wind Direction:
    Wind Speed: 0
    Elevation Adjustment:
    Windage Adjustment:
    Rating: 0
    Date: Jan 14, 2012
    Notes:

Date : Jan 14, 2012
    Ammo : Federal 9 mm FMJ 115
    Firing Method:
    Firing Stance:
    Rounds Fired: 10
    Group Size: 2.5
    Target Reference Number:
    Point of Aim Location:
    Wind Direction:
    Elevation Adjustment:
    Windage Adjustment:
    Date: Jan 14, 2012
    Notes:

Date : Jan 18, 2012
    Ammo : Federal 9 mm FMJ 115
    Firing Method:
    Firing Stance:
    Rounds Fired: 10
    Group Size: 3
    Target Reference Number: 1
    Point of Aim Location:
    Wind Direction:
    Elevation Adjustment:
    Windage Adjustment:
    Date: Jan 18, 2012
    Notes:

There are probably bigger Browning fans than myself, but I have to say that I am a loyal fan.

If you have never shot a Hi-Power then I recommend doing so. The Hi-Power is accurate. The Hi-Power is proven over many years. The Hi-Power is beautiful.
    Rudolph31 and Kid Sopris like this.
  3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Great write up and thanks for the info. The Hi-Power is one of the browning firearms that i have never shot but sounds like another great Browning pistol.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Excellent review and pics sir !!
  5. Very nice!
    Steve
  6. DadsEchelon

DadsEchelon Copper BB

Hello, Nice Review. I'm glad you like your H.P.
    I just purchased the same gun, new and made in Belgium). I have a sticky and very heavy trigger pull. Is this because its not broke in?
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

In case the Hi Power experts don't answer, I would guess that your trigger will smooth out somewhat the more you shoot. But you should know that Hi Powers have a magazine safety that can make the trigger less than ideal. Some have it disconnected, I've left mine alone.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

DadsEchelon:

A drop of oil also may help...

With the firearm UNLOADED...and an UNLOADED magazine inserted ( double checked )...insert a drop of oil into the trigger cutout and then reset the trigger and pull it ( in a SAFE direction )...

Repeat a few times to work in the oil...wiping away any excess

Let us know how that works out...
  9. frazz

frazz Copper BB

Mine is from the 80's and has had hundreds of rounds through it without issue and the trigger does smooth out with use. I very much agree with the OP that this pistol just seems to fit the hand and naturally points well.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

The Browning design is very ergonomic...
  11. I've always preferred the feel of the BPs over newer double stack designs, newer ones feel like a big banana in my hand(maybe JMB and Saive knew exactly what they was doing?).
    Steve
  12. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Just last week I found and bought two alloy-framed HP's. I haven't shot either but they are amazingly light compared to the steel-framed version. Ohio Ordnance Works is where I found mine, get onto their email alert list and the next time some come in, you'll have your chance. Do not hesitate, they sold out in hours.
  13. I am not an expert. There is a gentleman who posted in Ten Ring's alloy frame thread who is an expert. His forum name is sub-moa. I would listen to him. But I will say that the Hi-Power is a classic in every sense, rich with history, made by two genius gun designers, a pleasure to shoot, and competitive with any handgun currently on the market. There are only a few modern handguns that ring all the bells for enthusiasts like us. The Hi-Power is one of them.

By the way, I am not an expert, but I have been an owner since 1982, and I currently have four Hi-Powers.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    In The Ten Ring likes this.
  14. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Mister Coffee, that is one well-stated reply. :)
    Mister Coffee likes this.
  15. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Just noticed this thread has come to life ;)...a good thing to see :). The wildly generous compliment :eek:...though undeserved, IS much appreciated MC :).

THANKS for your 9:06 pm post on that "other" ;) BHP sub-forum as well my friend :).....
    Mister Coffee likes this.
  16. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Fully 1/2 of my HP's remain unfired by me.....including those two alloy units I mentioned above.

:(

Maybe next summer that can be rectified. A friend has invited me to set up a gun range on his farm......I need to do that.
  17. Pathfinder36

Pathfinder36 Copper BB

I'm new to this Browning forum but I have been a Browning HP collector since 1956. That may be stretching the truth just a bit as that's when I bought my first BHP from a WW II Army vet and loved it from the first round I fired. My 2nd BHP came from a friend in 2005, almost 50 years later. Today I have an even dozen and I'm always looking for more as my wallet allows. Over the past decade I have found great pleasure in adding Browning books to my firearms library and spending time reading them. Not long ago I picked up a nice BHP in .40S&W caliber but after firing 10 rounds I found I wasn't impressed with it so it is now on my trade list. Maybe a little before I had that 1st BHP I was a US Military Small Arms collector having a number long guns primarily from cartridge era - Krags, Springfields, Enfields, Garands, M1 Carbines, etc. - and I also acquired a few military handguns. Today the gun safes are full so I am content to learn more about those wonderful pieces that I have. I hope this forum will help in that effort.
    Mister Coffee and Rudolph31 like this.
  18. gnappi

gnappi .22LR

HP reviews that I could make would be boring...

Feed, yup, everything I feed them... eject / extract? never an issue... accuracy? They all shoot as well as I do. See? B-O-R-I-N-G :)