X-Bolt Cocking Problem

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by sjtrent, Jun 15, 2013.

1. sjtrent

sjtrent Copper BB

Hello, I'm new to forum. Recently purchased Browning X-bolt in 270 WSM. I've got about 100 rounds through it (barrel break-in and load development work). Yesterday, I found that I could not properly cock the rifle by cycling the bolt. Basically it does not appear the cocking lever is engaging the trigger sear. When I place the the safety in the "safe" position, I can get the cocking lever to engage the sear (probably engaging the safety sear!). So my battery of arms is 1) cycle bolt to back position, 2) fumble a finger under the bolt and place the safety tang in "safe" position, 3) cycle bolt closed, 4) place safety tang in fire position, 4) fire gun.... Absolutely annoying at the range, and will be unacceptable for hunting... :cry: Anyway, wondering if anyone else experienced this problem, and what did you do to resolve it. Yes, I tried to call Browning on Friday but they were already closed. However, if this is a minor problem that a local gun smith could handle, I'd rather go that way rather than pack the gun up and ship to Browning for six weeks of down time.

Any ideas???
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey welcome to the browning owners community!!! I don't own a Browning X-bolt but just took a quick glance at the manual and what you described doesn't seem too far off from what they describe in the operating procedure. Did it do what you described for all 100 rounds or did it just start doing it?

BTK
  3. sjtrent

sjtrent Copper BB

BTK, it just started doing this, so I don't think its normal. Typically I just cycle the bolt and I'm cocked and locked for the next round. My battery of arms on my savage works this way. I'm calling Browning on Monday to see what I need to do. If its a simple adjustment I'd rather take it to a local gunsmith and see if they can fix it. Don't want to send back to Browning if I can help it. I'm right in the middle of load development and want to finish that up and move on to long range ballistic documentation for these loads.
  4. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey, thanks for getting back. let us know what they say about the issue.
  5. lelandh

lelandh Copper BB

sjtrent how did you fix this? my brand new gold medaillion is doing this same thing!!
  6. lelandh

lelandh Copper BB

Ive sent it back to Browning asking for a gunsmith inspected replacement. I expected much better quality control from Browning. (This is the second time Ive returned this particular rifle for problems) This is a brand new rifle I got for Christmas '15!
  7. syssje

syssje Copper BB

Hi Sjtrent.. I am having the same issue with a new x bolt. What was your resolution?
  8. syssje

syssje Copper BB

I talked to Browning today, needless to say I have to send the gun in to their service dept. 8 weeks estimate for return. Very poor qualitycontrol. Had the gun 1 week, bought new. Very disappointed with Browning.