Is this a Superposed?

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Ben Bennett, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Ben Bennett

Ben Bennett Copper BB

Hi all,
    I recently purchased this shotgun at an auction. It was simply titled "Browning O/U 12 ga". To my untrained eye, I believe that it is a superposed, but I would like someone with more experience to either confirm or deny that. Should it say "superposed" on one of the barrels? I do not see that anywhere on the barrels, but I have also not taken the forearm off to check the lower barrel. Thanks for the input! Please let me know what other info you may need in order to give me an accurate answer.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Ben Bennett

Ben Bennett Copper BB

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. Ben Bennett

Ben Bennett Copper BB

4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Until someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I’ll tell you that to me, it looks like a Superposed. I’m not an authority, but I do know that if you can get the forearm off, instead of sliding it forward to disassemble, it’s a Citori. A picture of the serial number under the lever would confirm its identity also.
    Setters4life likes this.
  5. Congrats on a nice Superposed. Made before 1967 because it has the long bottom tang. It is known as the LTRK, which means Long Tang Round Knob. There are 3 dead give-aways on Supers.
    First, the forearm slides forward but does not come off, and the forearm release latch runs down into the receiver. Second, the barrels will say "Made in Belgium." All Supers are made in Belgium, and all Citoris are made in Japan. Third, all Superposed engraving is done by hand, so if you look closely you can see the tool marks. Most (98%) Citoris are laser engraved or machine stamped.

Supers CAN NOT handle steel shot, the barrels are too soft, so only shoot lead or non-tox.

Welcome to the addiction, and ownership of one of John Browning's last masterpiece.
    Setters4life and Quailhunter like this.
  6. These guns are still made today in Browning's Custom shop in Liege Belgium, but they sell for about $20K brand new. Same gun as the one you bought at auction, just newer. Old Supers are a fantastic value.
  7. Ben Bennett

Ben Bennett Copper BB

If only this one was worth $20k too...haha

Thanks everyone for the input!
  8. Davesch

Davesch Copper BB

Ben, think of it this way: Your gun is mechanically identical to the ones coming out of the Custom Shop today except for fancy engraving and wood. It will shoot just as well and last as long.