BROWNING MODEL 1885

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by SHOOTER13, Sep 6, 2012.

1. oldgreyguy

oldgreyguy .22LR

Proud owner of a 1885 in 45/70, bought her around '83, the only time I shot her was that year, lobbing 405gr chunks 200 meters at innocent gallon milk jugs full of water.... pretty impressive when hit, but damn, after 50 rounds I was black and blue for weeks.... Never changed out the hard plastic buttplate.........aaaaaaaargh
  2. shooter69

shooter69 Copper BB

Pix please.
  3. oldgreyguy

oldgreyguy .22LR

I will have to dig into the back of the safe for the rifle.... pic to follow
  4. shooter69

shooter69 Copper BB

5. Surveyor

Surveyor Copper BB

How heavy a load ARE you shooting? With the weight of the 1885, even Marlin loaded (per Lyman Manual) 405's seem to kick me less than a sporter weight 30-06. I have yet to see an animal that didn't drop like a sack of potatoes when hit by a 300 grain Trap Door Load. I sure wouldn't want to shoot your loads through my Marlin Guide Gun!

Good luck finding Remington 405s. They shoot clover leafs out of my Browning 1885, Marlin Guide Gun and T/C Encore. My most accurate powder to date is IMR3031. Speer 400s and Hornady 300s are what I can find.
  6. Noturus

Noturus .410

I've considered changing my 1885 out from scoped to iron sights. Mostly because when my Grandson becomes of age it would be easier for him with iron sights. A Williams adjustable peep sight set came with it when I bought it but I would like to have the original adjustable rear sight step setup. Brownells has it listed but out of stock for a long time. Any suggestions?
  7. Noturus

Noturus .410

Mine is the old traditional 45/70. I love this rifle! I have a Burris 3x9 scope and it's very accurate at 100 yds.

Attached Files:

8. Noturus

Noturus .410

I would like to revert my 1885 back to the original semi-buckhorn rear sight and front sight but can't find any place that has them. Brownells is out of stock like forever and Numrich has been out of stock on the front sight for just about as long. Any suggestions?
  9. Noturus

Noturus .410