Rough idea to have a Auto-5 restored

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by NDAR15MAN, Nov 26, 2019.

1. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN Copper BB

Can some one give me a rough idea what the cost would be to restore a 1968 Auto-5 12 ga shotgun. My dads gun , he killed a lot of quail and pheasant with it. I know it is hard to say with out looking at it Wood is starched up , metal still looks good to fair.
    I would like to to send it to the Famous Art to have him restore it but would like to get rough idea before I even think about it and waste his time because of lack of funds on my part.
    Thanks. Marty
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

3. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN Copper BB

Rudlph31.... thanks for the info. I dont know how i missed it on Arts website. thanks again. Marty
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. I had a standard 12 refinished for my Dad and it cost me about $900.00 with Art.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

What was the extent of the restauration?
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I was quoted $1200 from Art’s son Brad. That was without seeing the gun. That included bluing, wood refinish, and recutting the engraving. Brad said that’s a rough estimate. I’ve heard often times he comes in under his quote.
  7. The one I had done was complete re-blue and refinish of the wood. They had to touch up some of the engraving also. I do not remember the exact amount but it was a little over $900.
  8. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Can I presume since it was done at Art's--it was done "properly", and looks essentially new? Out of all the A5s I have, there is one particular one I would like to send to Art's and have him work his magic on it. I don't want it to look like a new gun, as a new gun looks these days, I want it to look like it did when it was new back in 1911 ( the year my dad was born). That's my concern. I guess I will have to give them a call.
    What's the turn-about time for an average restoration these days at Art's?
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The bluing isn’t going to look right. He doesn’t do slow rust bluing like it would have been originally. I have a stock set that he refinished that looks excellent, but in my opinion it’s a little too shiny. With that said they do excellent work from what I’ve see.

You can look at some of his restorations on his gunsinternational listings. Also his videos on YouTube are a great place to see if his work is something you’d be interested in.

I plan on having a couple restored soon. I was told 6-8 months for a complete restoration.
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Are you sure he doesn’t do rust bluing? I can’t imagine that. If not that takes him out of the restoring for me. Turnbull does rust bluing. And from the pictures I have seen awesome work. If art don’t do it there must be a good reason. I just hate to spend a bunch of money and it not be correct. Guess I need to call.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Art’s does rust blue — when they have to. I think Superposed barrels can’t go into the hot dip tank because it will melt the solder used to attach the rib.

A poster on Shotgunworld had his 1909 16 rust blued by Art’s. I think he was disappointed with the results.
  12. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Can you post a link. Can’t find it. Would like to look at it. I’m having my 1909 re done and don’t wanna be in the same boat. Some say MWG does good work also.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s because it was in a private message to me. But here is the relevant part:

“ The work they did on the wood is exceptional. I can not find any evidence of the previous damage.

I thought the rust blue was more durable than the hot blue. I can't believe it seems to be failing. Except for the two blotches that mysteriously arrived, it looks awesome.”
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I stand corrected. I thought on some of his videos he just dipped them. I will have to watch them again. I plan on calling today for a mainspring screw.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The 1909 restoration was a one time thing. Normally it’s just Superposed barrels that get the rust blue.