.44 Magnum Reloads for Browning 1892

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by ColdBlue, Aug 20, 2019.

1. ColdBlue

ColdBlue Copper BB

Anyone out there reloading for one? I have found only 180 gr. bullets will stabilize in mine. I think Browning initially may have used the wrong twist or rifling design. Thoughts...?
  2. ColdBlue

ColdBlue Copper BB

ColdBlue is a handle I picked years ago after my initial request to the SASS (which was CaseHarden) was rejected as it was already in use.
    I post alot on AR15.com as ColdBlue in reference to AR matters, especially the M16A2.
    23 years a Marine (1968-1991). Was Enlisted then an Infantry Officer.
    My first Browning was a 9mm HiPower I purchased at the Camp Pendleton PX after I returned from Vietnam.
    My other Browning, a .44 magnum Model 1892 I purchased around 1976, and that's what I am reloading for and shooting the most this Summer.
    However, it will not stabilize any form of 210-240 gr. lead or jacketed bullets. In fact it actually "keyholes" some of these heavy, but standard weight (for .44 magnum) bullets.
    On the good side however, factory loaded 180 grain Hornady .44 Specials group fine at 50 yards, as well as my 180 gr. Hornady XTP handloads with 9.1 gr. of Unique using a large pistol primer.
    Any other 1892 owner/shooters out there...?
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello and welcome!

I don’t have an 1892 but I do have an opinion. I think you have a bad barrel. Maybe it’s something that can be fixed, like a damaged crown. I think it’s affecting the 180 grain loads too, shooting it at 100 yards will be a better test.

Good luck.
  4. ColdBlue

ColdBlue Copper BB

Thanks R31, but the crown is perfect and the bore as good as new visually and very clean and free of fouling. I think early on Browning used the wrong twist and/or rifling pattern. I mean when you see factory and reloaded 240 gr. jacketed rounds keyholing at 50 yards, but your 180 gr. reloads and Hornady 180 gr. .44 Specials group under 2 inches, you know something with the bore is not right. Also using an Aimpoint Micro for shooting (see photo). Helps to keep me consistent. Don't trust myself with just iron sights anymore, especially when developing loads.

Attached Files:

5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

6. ColdBlue

ColdBlue Copper BB

Wow! Thanks for posting the Manual. Interesting about their comment on pistol vs. rifle ammo as I have never seen .44 Magnum "rifle" ammo for sale. In addition, never seen a box marked for Pistol use either. News to me as well.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I figured you’d lost your manual. After 43 years you’re lucky you’ve still got the rifle
  8. ColdBlue

ColdBlue Copper BB

Had to reluctantly give up a lot of stuff like that moving from Duty Station to Duty Station during 23 years in the Marine Corps. Even used to have all the original boxes for my guns...
    Rudolph31 likes this.