Browning A5 3 shot

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Hippiefromhell, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Just purchased an a5 3 shot 16 gauge. I have seen a lot about them shooting the 2-9/16” shell or people machining them to make them accept 2-3/4” shells. I can not find markings on my barrel for either one no size in inches or mm. I know it should say 65 or 70 but the only numbers I see are chamber diameter I think which shows 16.7mm. There are a ton of symbols stamped on there and some that are worn down cans I can’t make out. I have seen that I can shoot the 2-3/4” shells in it with a possible ejection issue. Haven’t tried it yet but what is y’all opinion on this? I have found some 2.5” shells online and they take 4 weeks to receive them. I have 5 boxes of 2-3/4” now to try and see if they eject properly. Gun is not a collector for me it’s a shooter that has all matching part numbers and in very good condition.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Sure go for it. Wrong size possibly in the chamber. Not my fingers or face behind it. Should we not hear from you again, I will assume it was 2 9/16 chamber. Seriously measure the chamber and get the correct shells for it. If it takes 4 months. And don’t convert it to 2 3/4. You want a 2 3/4 go buy one and send me that one. I have lots of 2 1/2 shells.

3. The 2-3/4” shells cycle through the gun fine with just loading it and ejecting them all through ejection port without firing them. Putting them in the chamber by hand they go straight in and sit flush where they are suppose to. The guy I bought it from was shooting 2-3/4” shells through it as well. Seems like I read somewhere that people had been shooting the 2-3/4” shells through with no problem and didn’t even know that it was suppose to be a 2-9/16” shell. From what I hear they will shoot the 2-3/4” shells the only issue is that they get hung up ejecting bc the shell opened up and it grew in length and the port isn’t quite long enough. I plan on buying g a case of the 2-1/2” shells for bird shooting either way just wish they had them at cabelas or bass pro so I didn’t have to wait the 4 weeks.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You in BFE? Order from RST and you will get in about 4 days. I get all my shells from them, when I don’t feel like reloading. Sorry don’t understand shooting 2 3/4 shells in a 2 9/16 chamber gun, it may work but why take the chance.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Shooting a 70mm shell in a 65mm chamber may cause increased pressures when the crimp unfolds, causing a barrel obstruction. Unfired 70mm shells cycle in a 65mm gun because 70mm is the fired length.

You can tell at a glance whether your gun has been modified to shoot longer shells by the amount of the barrel extension protruding from the front of the receiver. Also, modified guns have a movable ejector.
    jlp likes this.
  6. I was just going off of what their website said for time of delivery for the rst website. I am not really even sure what it is chambered for I am going to post pictures or all the barrel stamping and what not tomorrow and see if anyone can give me some insight into which one it is and if it has been modified to accept 2-3/4” shells.
  7. By moveable ejector do you mean spring loaded?
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No, I think you may be confusing extractor for the ejector. The ejector is on the barrel extension; on post WWII and modified guns it slides freely in a slot.
    Movable Ejector
    [​IMG]

Fixed Ejector
    [​IMG]

In the pictures you can also see the difference in the amount of exposed barrel extension.
  9. This is what mine looks like compared to your pictures. Let me know if you think it has the barrel extension and extractor. E0EFA77A-D6CF-4F12-9E6E-204B053D1FE4.jpeg
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It looks like a modified ejector that moves in a slot. Yours looks different than mine because mine is the new part instead of an adapted one. Your barrel extension also shows that the gun’s been modified to fire 70mm length shells.

Tell me your serial number and I’ll tell you when it was made. Also, pictures of the barrel markings would be helpful.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

12. FB41E3DF-E485-44DA-B13D-20BF093257EA.jpeg
    Here is the serial number. What are you looking for on the barrel as far as markings? I can’t get a good picture of any of the symbols
  13. Since you say it loooks like it’s been converted and I agree with that according to all the pictures I am finding. Can I shoot high brass 2-3/4” shell with out issue since it has been converted to shoot 2-3/4” shells.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Your gun was made in 1937, and can shoot any 16 gauge shell. You may want to replace the recoil and action springs before shooting those high brass shells, however. And learn how to set up your gun for heavy loads.

In the 30’s, barrel markings looked like this:
    [​IMG]

16-65 is the gauge and chamber length. I’m sure yours will be marked like that too. Sometimes modified guns are stamped 2 3/4” somewhere, but you can’t count on it.
  15. Mine do have the same markings but the circle where it says 16-65 on that one mine is either worn off or wasn’t stamped very deep. The circle is there but nothing inside of it. I did watch some videos on how to set it up for high brass shells by switching up where the washers are in relationship to the springs. I thot the gun was from 37 by the serial number info I could find and supposedly it’s the same time they started to make the sweet 16 first runs but I know mine is not a sweet. Thank you for all of your help.
  16. Is there a certain spring kit I should buy or will any 16 gauge browning a5 springs work. Wasn’t sure since mine is the 3 shot version and prob has a shorter spring I’m sure they sell that exact kit or springs just haven’t looked for them yet. I do love this 3 shot version tho since all I hunt is birds.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

18. Ranger6

Call art and get the spring from him. Be warned the last 16 spring I got from MWG would not work.
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

For years, MGW was my go-to place for parts. I understand that they bought out Browning’s remaining stock when that company stopped supporting the gun. Everything I bought from them came in OEM packaging. Now I’ve heard that MGW has sold the majority of their inventory to Art’s. That makes the quality of their current parts suspect. I don’t trust aftermarket parts — a bad recoil spring cracked my forearm once.

Whoever you get your parts from, make sure they come in Browning packaging.