Let’s get a little action in this area. Skeleton hammer vs regular

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Boostnu, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Boostnu

Boostnu Copper BB

What’s the difference on the models? I have seen the skeleton hammer on some I think called t models vs the standard hammer. I have the standard model in blue. If I can figure out how to post picture I will get one up. I don’t think mine has ever been shot. I removed the magazine safety but bagged it up for safe keeping. Trying to decide what to do with it.
  2. I don't think there is a skeleton hammer that comes on any factory gun. T-series guns came with a ring hammer. Look forward to seeing your pics.

Bagging up the magazine safety is what I would do, but I'm certain that no one is going to want to reinstall it once it's out.

P.S. I second your subject line. Let's get this party started. :thumbsup:
  3. Boostnu

Boostnu Copper BB

It’s probably been gone over but what is the difference between the t-series and the one I have?
  4. Probably nothing.

"T-series" refers to the serial number (it begins with a "T"). T-series guns are thought to have been produced during the late '60s and maybe into the '70s. They are considered by many to be of exceptionally high quality in fit and finish. I can't tell you anything about your gun without a serial number and a picture.

By the way, I'm no fancy-man expert. There are others on this forum who are much more knowledgeable than me (I'm looking at you, sub-moa). What I know, I have been fortunate to have learned from them.
  5. Boostnu

Boostnu Copper BB

Here is a pic of said hi-power.

Attached Files:

Crank and Rudolph31 like this.
  6. MWAG

MWAG Copper BB

I never got hammer bite, so I left my spur hammer alone.
    gnappi likes this.
  7. @Boostnu: What's the serial number of your gun? (You can leave off the last few digits if you are worried about confidentiality.)
  8. Boostnu

Boostnu Copper BB

245PMO84
  9. According to the browning.com site, your pistol was manufactured in 1980.

https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm/hi-power-pistol.html

All Hi-Powers are great. Yours is a lovely example from a period when the company had plenty of momentum (no competition from polymer guns). Yours is a forged (not cast) frame. The original design had a rowell, or round, hammer. In the '70s-ish, Browning went to the spur hammer. The original has an internal extractor. After around '63-ish, they went to the external extractor, which is what you have.

If you are interested, you might get a copy of Stephen Camp's book. It's a great resource for all things Hi-Power.

https://hipowersandhandguns.com/RHP Ad Page.htm
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  10. Boostnu

Boostnu Copper BB

thanks for the info. I am currently looking at mags for it. Thinking about picking up a few of the mecgar brand ones. I have taken out the mag safety thing. Also thanks for the suggestion on the book I will check it out.
  11. gnappi

gnappi .22LR

+1 as a shooter who has never had hammer bite. So the hammer profile is a non starter in general but I find the spur hammer is more easily cocked. But it's insignificant enough of a nit to not change any I have.
  12. Ibmikey

Ibmikey .22LR

I prefer the round hammer and in fact changed a couple of spur hammers to round, hammer bite has never been an issue with me. I really do not like the look of the skeletonized hammer.