SA-22 Serial Number Question???

Discussion in 'Browning Semi-Auto 22 Rifle' started by huskerbob, Jul 13, 2019.

1. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

I posted this months ago but it didn't draw any responses. Thought I'd give it another try.

"I purchased a Browning SA-22 at a gun show this past weekend. Based on the S/N, the gun was built in Belgium around 1959.

Something odd however. I wasn't aware the S/N was stamped in the front of the receiver until I was doing a little additional research on line. I only saw the S/N on the rear of the stock on the ring surrounding the magazine tube. In comparing the two numbers I found the S/N on the receiver is 1,060 lower than the number by the mag tube. The numbers contained in the S/N would seem to rule out human error in stamping the gun, ie: 59 stamped as 95, etc.

Even with the difference, both numbers would still seem to indicate a 1959 build date.

According to the dealer I purchased it from, and I trust him completely, he bought the gun from the original owner who purchased it new in 1962,

Any theories on why the numbers would be different??? [​IMG]"
    woodsltc likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’d guess the stocks were changed at the factory for some reason.
  3. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

except both numbers appear on the "stock piece" of the gun, one on the butt and the other stamped on the face of the receiver. there are no numbers on the "barrel piece" of the gun.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I’m confused. Maybe if you posted some pictures I’d see what you mean.
  5. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

As you know, the gun "breaks" into two pieces. The separation point is between the receiver and the barrel. For simplicity I'll call them the "barrel piece" (bottom piece in photo) and the "stock/receiver piece" (top piece in photo).

[​IMG]

Both S/N's I mentioned appear on the "stock/receiver piece". One number on the butt of the "stock/receiver piece" and the other is stamped on the front of the receiver where it connects to the "barrel piece". There are no numbers on the "barrel piece".

You may be correct and for some reason a "new, wood stock" was connected to the metal receiver at the factory or later as a repair. Why or when it was done will remain one of life's unanswered mysteries I guess...........

PS: I posted an old photo of the gun because I currently don't have access to the safe in which the gun "lives" so I can't show photos of the actual S/N's
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    woodsltc likes this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Now I get it. I really don’t know much about the SA-22, but am familiar with FN serialization of the Auto-5. On that gun they quit stamping the serial number on barrels in 1953. I’d be surprised if this gun is different.

The wood may have been switched at the factory or even the dealership. Imagine a customer liked the wood on a gun that had some blemish on the metal.

There’s not a whole lot of information readily available about this rifle, particularly concerning serial numbers. Since you’ve done the research, you may consider posting what you’ve found to make it easier for those who follow.
  7. woodsltc

woodsltc Copper BB

huskerbob, I just found this thread ............ I have a similar situation with a SA-22 that I inherited from my dad. It also was built in the late 1950's with a build date of 1957 or 1958 as best I can tell. This one also has two different serial numbers. Like yours the serial # on the front of the receiver is lower (by 1134) than the one on the rear of the stock on the ring around the loading tube. My dad was the original owner and bought the rifle in the late 1950's from a hardware store in our hometown. I've always wondered about the different serial numbers and your post caught my eye. I've asked a few Browning collectors about this and never gotten a definitive answer as to the different numbers. Most have guessed that it was simply something that occurred during assembly of the guns. Keeping in mind that gun manufacturers are interested in making and selling their guns and not that concerned about matching serial numbers as long as the finished gun passes inspection....I can see how this might have happened. Don
  8. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

The only answer I've even gotten was from the dealer who sold me the gun. I ran into him at a later gun show. He's quite knowledgeable so unless I ever get a different answer, I go with his explanation.................

He told me one is the Serial Number. The other is an Assembly Number. As I write this, I can't remember which is which although I would think the number stamped into the steel on the face of the receiver would be the S/N. That makes the most sense to me since that number would always be a part of the gun. The number that surrounds the loading tube could theoretically be removed and replaced with a different number. That number would seem to me to be the Assembly Number. I'll eventually run into him again and will confirm or correct. NEXT TIME...........I'll write it down!!!

I'll try to track you down if I ever confirm or if I ever hear anything different. Please do the same!

Thanks for responding!

Bob
    woodsltc likes this.
  9. woodsltc

woodsltc Copper BB

Bob, wow I didn't expect a reply this soon. I would appreciate any info you find out on the serial numbers and I will update you as well if I find anything.

In searching for info last night I was able to "tie down" the date my dad's gun was built as being in 1958 (using either of the serial#'s). This was the first gun I ever fired and brings back memories of hunting squirrels with my dad and uncles as a boy.

Best Regards,
    Don
  10. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

will do! thanks!
    woodsltc likes this.
  11. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

Don....................OK, I called Browning and here's what I learned. As we suspected, the number stamped on the face of the receiver is the gun's legal serial number. They said that "generally" the number that appears near the Magazine Tube would match the number on the receiver. However, it's not uncommon to find numbers that do not match. This could happen for a multitude of reasons. The original stock could have been damaged and replaced, it could have been a mix up at the factory, etc. It's impossible to know why they do not match.

Before calling them, I found Browning does offer a lettering service that will provide info such as manufacture date, shipping date, who the gun was shipped to, any "special features" of the gun. There is a fee for this service. I've done that on a Colt S.A.A. I own and the Colt letter is significantly more expensive. I will try to attach a link to their page which details that service.

I called them and the lady I spoke with was very helpful.

I also learned my gun, S/N number T454XX, was manufactured in 1956. The number on the stock is T46459. I guess I'll never know why................................so I'll just have to go to work making up some really cool story to explain it!!!

Had I been thinking (not my strong suit) when i spoke with her, I would have asked if she had any info on the "second number" on the gun just to see if she could tie that number to any gun.

https://www.browning.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/firearm-historical-information.html

Bob
    Rudolph31 and woodsltc like this.
  12. woodsltc

woodsltc Copper BB

Bob thanks for the update. That's good information and certainly sheds some light on our serial number questions.

I need to give Browning a call and see if I can get a confirmation on the year mine was manufactured. Mine is a "Shorts Only" model & the S/N on the face of the receiver is A44XX while the number on the back of the stock is A55XX. I did find out that the "A" prefix was used on these early models to indicate the "Shorts Only" guns (later an "E" prefix was used for the Short Only guns), while the "T" prefix was used for the "Long Rifle" guns.

I need to think a-bit about getting the gun lettered or not, but the cost seems very reasonable. Just not sure that I need it.

Thanks again for the info.

Don
  13. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

I'm going to go ahead with a letter on mine for the same reason I spent $100 to letter my Colt. I knew I would get zero exciting info but at least it would put an end to the "what if???" question. From that stand point alone, for me, it was worth the $$$.
    woodsltc likes this.
  14. woodsltc

woodsltc Copper BB

Bob, I was looking at SA-22's for sale on "guns international" which is a classifieds site, and found another SA-22 with two different numbers ..... one on the face of the receiver and the other on the ring around the loading tube at the rear of the stock. This gun is a Grade III and appears to be made in 1958. Here's the link with the pics:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...58-belgium-manf-and-case.cfm?gun_id=100891532

This adds credence to what you were told by the Browning folks when you called ....."it's not uncommon to find numbers that do not match".
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  15. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

Don..............i think you've "cracked the case"!!!

Read the article from the Browning Collectors Newsletter posted as picture #15 of the gun you referenced from Guns International carefully.

It reads, in part:

"A couple of relatively small changes in configuration of the stock took place in this period as well including the installation of a "magazine stop plate" inside the whole in the back of the stock. (This is the round plate, slightly larger than a quarter, with the four screws holding it in to the back of the stock.) About s/n 45000 they started putting the serial numbers on the magazine stop plate - BUT - these did not match the serial numbers on the front or the receiver/trigger guard. This was in late 1958 and continued through.-out 1959. Now, the s/n on the magazine stop plate became THE serial number so far as the records go - even with the s/n on the front of the receiver (keep in mind this is before the Gun Control Act of 1968)."

So, if this is correct the CORRECT s/n for my gun IS the number on the magazine stop plate. It seems to me if I'm going to request a "Letter" on my gun from Browning, that is the s/n I should request them to research.

Agree/Disagree???
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  16. woodsltc

woodsltc Copper BB

Bob, I read that page earlier. My question is "who" was the author? I didn't get the impression that it was someone at Browning, but maybe a collector.....just don't know. Per your call to Browning earlier the correct serial number was the one on the receiver face. Seems we may be back to square one .... with conflicting accounts as to which is the correct S/N.
  17. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

I would agree........except for the "Editors" note at the end of the article which was published in the Browning Collectors Newsletter. He says attributes the info to Jeff Tyler who, along with his father, "wrote the book on the little .22's."

That combined with the fact the Gun Control Act of 1968 which standardized the s/n requirements was still about 10 years away, makes me believe the info in the article over the info I received from a current day Browning employee who probably wasn't even alive in 1968!

I have a way to do somewhat of a test. I bought my gun from a dealer who bought it from, and knew, the original owner. The owner told the dealer when and from which store he purchased the gun. He even remembered how much he paid! I'm going to contact Browning and request a "Letter" on the gun using the serial number on the magazine plate and see what info come's back. If the "Letter" supports the original owner, then I'd say the article is correct and the Mag Plate number is THE serial number. If the letter doesn't support the info provided by the original owner, I'll request a second "Letter" using the serial number on the receiver and see what it has to say.

I may end up paying for two letters instead of just one, but I'll just chalk that up to losing one of "life's little gambles"............

I'll order the 'first' letter today and we'll see what happens. Let the fun begin!!

bob
  18. woodsltc

woodsltc Copper BB

At the very least this has become an interesting quest for the correct S/N. I at least feel confident that our guns came from the factory as is, and were not altered after purchase. Someone else reading these posts later may also benefit. Looking forward to hearing what your factory letter reveals.

Don
  19. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

Spoke to the new Browning Historian, Ryan Skidmore, this morning. I explained the Serial Number confusion we've encountered. I told him I thought a Letter might solve the mystery for us.

He said he too was curious and before he would charge me for any Letter(s), he wanted to do the research on my two s/n's to see what he could find out. He said he'd call me once he knew what was going on and we could then discuss the value of a letter on my gun and whether it was 'worth' purchasing. I thought that was a class move!!

I read him part of the G.I. article and sent him a link to that gun so he could see the entire article.

I'll let you know what I hear back. He said it may take a few weeks.

Bob
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    woodsltc likes this.
  20. woodsltc

woodsltc Copper BB

The historian being interested in tracking down the S/N discrepancy is very promising.....more than I would have anticipated. I'm looking forward to hearing what he reports back to you.

Don