Need a stock for a 16 gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jun 17, 2019.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am looking for an uncut round knob Belgium stock for a 16 gauge A5. I have called just about every place I could find online an no dice. I talked to Art and he will come up with one if I send my gun in to be restored but he won't sell me one out right. I have a set of Japanese wood that I could use but I would prefer to keep the gun as close to original as possible. Does anybody have one they would sell or have a source for one?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

eBay maybe, prob won’t find a set that matches. How important is the round knob? If you want to keep original then it’s worth getting a make over. Send to art
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Rudolph, I have a set that I ordered off MGW but I would like to keep it as close to original as possible. I can't warm up to the checkering style on the Jap style stocks. I like how the checkering meets underneath the grip on the Belgium stocks.

Ranger, I have been looking at ebay every chance I get but no look other than a couple of straight stocks. Not sure if I would like that or not. It will be going to Art sometime, until then I would like to find a stock if possible.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have a straight stock on my 1909 and love it. There is a straight stock on eBay right now for 299.00. I know the owner. Good guy. Keep watching. It may take several months to find one.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have been tempted to pull the trigger on that straight stock on ebay. Looks like a really nice stock but I wish I could try one. I have shot a Citori with a straight stock and really didn't care for it.
  7. Ranger6

Well if you do buy one make sure you get trigger.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good call, not sure how I overlooked that. I will wait for a round knob.
  9. Ranger6

I see your from North Dakota. How’s the bird hunting up there? Looking for a place to go once my daughter graduates.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The MGW stock at least has a round knob.

Straight stocks don’t just require a different Trigger Plate, the nut in the Receiver is at a different angle. Not an easy conversion.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The bird hunting is generally pretty good. The last few years we have had some terrible winters so the numbers have been down. I drew a once in a lifetime elk tag for ND and an Arizona elk tag last year. Needless to say, I didn't make it out very much last year.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks for the info, I will give it some time and if I can't find a stock I will fit my set from MGW to this gun.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I have a Belgian stock with the identical pattern. From 1924:

[​IMG]
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Interesting, can I get a picture of that from the side?
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Here is what I found. Trying to decide if I should buy all of it. The middle stock had a chip repaired and it was refinished by Art. The other round knob has been shortened about 3/8”. The square stock and forearm are original.

I am buying the refinished stock and forearm for sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Ranger6

Very nice wood sir! The lop decides for me. 141/4 is as short as it can be. You could have a pad installed. My mag and light 20 both have pads. Just make sure you have the right pad fitted. Old Smith here in Houston has buckets full of pads, original ones. I got to dig through them all last time.
  19. Ranger6

Those all for a 16?
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes they are all for a 16