What happened here?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by hughscpa, May 21, 2019.

1. hughscpa

hughscpa Copper BB

I just picked up the A-5 the other day and am trying to clean it up. I used FLITZ on it hoping to take the spotty finish junk off trying to get back to the original. It really had no effect. What do you think this is? Did somebody use cold blue on it? Any ideas how to remove it and not strip the original finish?

Attached Files:

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Send it to art or shoot it the way it is. Don’t think you gonna get it off without needing to re-blue it.
    jlp and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. hughscpa

hughscpa Copper BB

This same A-5 has a serial number of FN over 6748337. The 67 is smaller than the other numbers and about the same size as the FN. Can anyone help me find a year of production? The Browning website was no help. Is this a European model?
  4. Either shoot it or send it to Art. If you do send it to him it will come back looking like it is brand new.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yeah, Browning’s site is lousy even for US imports. After the consecutive serial numbering ended in the ‘50’s, FN used a system consisting of two small digit’s for the year preceding the serial number. Your gun was made in 1967.
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  6. hughscpa

hughscpa Copper BB

Okay, that makes some sense then. Would it have been rust blued or hot blued in that year?
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hot dip blue replaced rust blue in 1963-64.
  8. hughscpa

hughscpa Copper BB

Okay, thanks for the info. Now I need to find a screw set for the old girl. All of the locking screws are missing for some reason.
  9. hughscpa

hughscpa Copper BB

Since the only engraving is "Light Twelve" on the left hand side and the barrel is "FABRIQUE NATIONALE...", is this considered a "European Model"? If so, does that affect the value?
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

World Market. The original deal gave FN world marketing rights, reserving the US for Browning. Your gun is uncommon in America since it is un-engraved; Browning imports featured standard engraving since about 1938. Many of these were brought here by servicemen who bought them in PX’s overseas. That said, it has no collector value. Value is as a shooter, and condition determines price.

If you’re going to keep it, it may be worth it to you to get it refinished. However, don’t expect to recoup your investment if you decide to sell.
    Tuscaloosa Aubie likes this.
  11. hughscpa

hughscpa Copper BB

Thank you very much for the info Rudolph31. It is great to know what I have and what to expect if I get rid of it.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You're welcome.

About the screw kit, I suggest eBay. New locking screws will stand out like acne on your gun, and they’re overpriced anyway. You will need Browning screwdrivers, available at Brownell’s.

By the way, if you decide to replace the other screws, they don’t come with the notch for the lock screw, you’d have to do that yourself.