300 win mag best bullet

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by 300winchester, Dec 17, 2012.

1. 300winchester

300winchester Copper BB

I just purchased an X bolt 300 win mag. I read alot about shooting 180 gr all day long. I used to shoot 165's in my old Ruger M77, need some input, am partial to Berger, Sierra, Barnes.
    thanks all for your help
  2. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

What is your intended quarry? Range?
  3. Mprimo75

Mprimo75 Copper BB

I purchased an X Bolt late deer season last year. I have had great success shooting 180gr Hornady SST Superperfomance. They have been very accurate at the range and had great knockdown power. I dropped two deer and 5 hogs with none of them moving more than 10 yards.
  4. Big Game

Big Game Copper BB

Just bought a x bolt hells canyon speed 300 wm. shooting winchester silver ballistic tip 180gr. I'm not getting the results I'm looking for. trying to zero at 200 yds. looking for suggestions. I've had great results with this in ruger 300 wsm scout rifle 180gr and savage 7mm rm 150gr
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  6. Big Game

Big Game Copper BB

Thanks Shooter
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. deaner

deaner .22LR

man those Hornaday sst shoot in all my bars
  8. mdledonne

mdledonne Copper BB

Hi I'm a new member. I've tried just about everything 165gr - 200 gr. The only things my 300 hells canyon speed likes is 180 gr core lock & 200gr hornady ELD -x
    Both shoot under a half inch at 200 yards
  9. Norske

Norske .410

Most cup-and-core bullets are designed to perform at 308 or 30-06 velocities. Magnums need premium bullets that won't turn inside out at close ranges. The Nosler Partition is probably the least expensive, and magnums should use 180 gr bullets, except the 300 Wby or greater, they should use 200gr bullets.
  10. Norske

Norske .410

Google Hornady ELDX reviews. My Winchester XPR likes them, and they perform well close and 'way out there in ballistic gelatin. Nosler Accubonds are also highly regarded. If you are going on a big game hunt (deer are medium game) ask your outfitter what he has been impressed with. If you need a really tough bullet, (big bears) the Swift A-Frame is tough at both ends, unlike the Nosler Partition, which has a soft front.
    What would I use? I bought a few boxes of Winchester Fail Safe 308 and 338 caliber bullets when Winchester quit making them.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  11. Norske

Norske .410

My XPR is a 30-06, and is happy with any bullet tried heavier than 150 gr. I bought it for a "truck rifle" but it's too good for that kind of rough service. It's a hunting rifle.