Pigeon Grade pricing and values

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by David TK Hayes, Jan 27, 2019.

1. David TK Hayes

David TK Hayes Copper BB

Good day, I am new to the forum. Used to shoot a lot of trap, and I have a very nice 1967 Belgium made Pigeon Grade trap gun with 32" barrel.

I have off and on tried to sell it for a few years, I simply do not shoot much anymore. Looking online at prices on various sites, gunsinternational and few others. I see prices all over the place for these fine guns. Upwards of $7000, but most seem to be in the $3000-$4000 range

That is where I priced the gun initially and dropped the price substantially, to somewhere around $2600 - never even got an inquiry on it.

So the question is... are the ones that are for sale at higher prices just sitting there? Are people actually buying/selling these and what is a reasonable price? It is in excellent (not perfect) condition, and still works like clockwork. Been in our family since new.

Obviously if I drop the price to $1500, I bet I sell it in a day.... but would rather consider a reasonable offer and as well, set my expectations accordingly.

opinions appreciated on the current market and thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Go to Gunbroker, advanced search, completed items. You’ll find actual sales prices.
  3. David TK Hayes

David TK Hayes Copper BB

thanks - that helped some - no Pigeon Grade models in there, but there are plenty of similar models
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

From 1966-71 Browning used Salt Wood on many Superposed shotguns, particularly high end guns like yours. Buyers are leery.

5. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

In addition, 32” Broadway ribs generally command much lower prices than narrow ribbed guns with 28” ‘field’ style configurations.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. struff55

struff55 Copper BB

Price very subjective people put guns out on the market basically like fishing bait if someone impulse buys they win a knowledge buyer usually is very aware of the wide range of pricing . On a personal note I bought a pigeon gun in 95%+ condition for 2500$ it was listed at 4300$ Buy the end of the negotiations the owner was calling me to buy the gun that was my offer and he took it . All that being said I believe a realistic price for one is 2200$-2800$ depending on condition and if it has a factory case the one I bought did . Of course small gauges go up in value
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Can we see some pictures please. The case also. Thanks
  8. struff55

struff55 Copper BB

Not really interested in posting to much info on a site I’m not totally familiar with
    Just saying
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Understand your concern. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Thanks Ranger6
  10. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

I understand reluctance to share too much. It’s generally not the people genuinely interested in learning and sharing info for legitimate collecting or research reasons - it’s usually people who are up to no good and prey on the gullible and unassuming. Some of these sharks have FFL’s and list guns on the Internet by the way.

On another subject (value), I learned of a fairly unique all-original gun that would fit well in my specific areas of interest. ‘Had several congenial conversations with its owner to establish a rapport. He was at one price (fairly ambitious IMO), and I offered what I thought a realistic market would support. He didn’t appear to know much about the design and production history and his breakdown appeared to be an inflated Blue-Book format. I have studied the Superposed for some 30 years now. In an attempt to justify my offer, I submitted a list of 66 examples of the same Grade from 1950’s that have been listed for sale in the last 15 years - some auction examples with realized prices, included for ‘known sales history’. When he picked the example with the highest ‘unconfirmed’ sale price, I knew there was no point in attempting to negotiate. He actually did me a huge favor - I reassessed the basis for my valuation and 3 examples from that list that I own, compared them with the engraving on his gun, and adjusted my value - downward. He’ll have to ‘find’ another buyer because I've honestly lost interest. Though, there’s a gun out there for everyone.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  11. Ranger6

I can assure you that none of the members here will be taking part in this. There was once a member here that was doing shady stuff on another site, it wasn't long until the word spread, and he was banned here. I can promise if any member here is engaged in this nonsense, they won't be a member long. This is a good group, and we don't have the issues that a lot of the other sites have. I monitor every post, as I am on here multiply times a day. I try to be fair in every aspect but stealing, lying or trying to scam someone is a quick invite out the door.
    Auzzie likes this.
  12. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Clarification: My comments were not intended for (nor in reference to) any member of this site. They fall in the "genuinely interested in learning and sharing info for legitimate collecting or research reasons" category.

Ranger - Thanks for your diligence in monitoring and dealing with the undesirables.......and looking-out for all of us, here.
    Auzzie and Ranger6 like this.