browning a-5 stock screws

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by deaner, Jan 25, 2019.

1. deaner

deaner .22LR

anyone ever take any of these out i have tried 5011 different screw drivers and can not find one strait blade that will fit them .found one blade in a cheap bit set and it bent JUNK .any help would be very thankful .thanks
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If the stock screw has been over tightened even the above screw driver won’t work. Will likely bend or break. I have several of the above mentioned bits and have sent many back to brownells. They will warranty them. Best thing I have found believe it or not is the harbor freight bits. They will require some file time to make them fit. It is important to cover the entire width and depth of the screw. I have even had to tap the end of screw driver with brass hammer to loosen them up. Good luck. If you have one that is really stubborn it will be worth it to take to gun smith, if the screw is buggered up to much it will be costly. And if your stock is nice it won’t be worth the scratch if it slips out.
  4. deaner

deaner .22LR

wow thanks guys i thought i was just dumb this is great info .i give the tips a try
  5. deaner

deaner .22LR

got the 5 pc set in the mail today hope the do the trick
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

They should work. If my memory serves me correctly the bit is a 210. Just make sure it fits the stock screw. All the way to bottom of slot and the whole width of slot. I really haven’t found much of a use for the other bits that come in the set on an a5. Do yourself a favor and order an extra one that fits the stock screw. Let us know how it comes out.
  7. deaner

deaner .22LR

I got a set and they worked good but did bend/twist some but got screws out thanks for all the help everyone ,
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. Ranger6

If you got it from brownells you can send it back and they will send you another
  9. deaner

deaner .22LR

thanks I will do just that
  10. Ranger6

Welcome sir, glad to help