X-Bolt torque values?

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by kumpe, Jan 4, 2019.

1. kumpe

kumpe .410

Tried finding information about the proper tourqe for action and base screws for the X-Bolt (original polymer stock), but could only find people guessing wildly, and no official values.
    Searched here as well, but could not find anything.
    Does anyone here know if Browning has any official recommendations on this and where to find it, or if you know them could share this information?
    If not, does anyone here take torque into consideration when reassembling your X-Bolt, and could share your preferences?
  2. Look in your rifle manual it should be there .
  3. kumpe

kumpe .410

I would if I had received one. And looking around the internet, nobody seems to have a manual with these values.
  4. I checked my x bolt and front and rear are at 35 inch pounds syn. stock ,hope this helps .
    kumpe likes this.
  5. kumpe

kumpe .410

It helps a lot! Thank you.
  6. kumpe

kumpe .410

If anyone knows the tourqe value recommended for the scope bases, or even a reasonable one, please let me know.
    All opinions are welcome.
  7. You could google it and see what other owners are doing with there rifle .
  8. kumpe

kumpe .410

As I wrote, that's what I did. Did not find anything trustworthy, just a lot of people using values taken from another rifle manufacturer, or from thin air it seems. Values ranging from 25 to 85 in-lbs, with a variety of versions with different values for the front and back screw.
    I'm more interested in what people here have to say about it.
    You actually went through the trouble to check your rifle, those kinds of answers I can trust. Again, thanks.
  9. I use a fat wrench on all rifles amd scope mounts and have it wrote down ,but did recheck my x bolt to make sure I didn,t tell you wrong . Good luck
    kumpe likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

kumpe likes this.
  11. kumpe

kumpe .410

Thanks! I guess I just have to go on using common sense. The official values maybe aren't that important anyway, as long as I find something that works and measure it so it's repeatable.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. You can always go to far on torque and bind the action ,to me 35lbs. is a good setting on action screws .JMO
  13. kumpe

kumpe .410

Yes of course. But I have a feeling I'm more likely to under tighten than over. Tried with my torque wrench, and was honestly scared going further than 30. That's definitely more force than I've ever used on stock screws. And I have never really had any problems. The reason I was asking is that I now have a setup where I can and want to switch between two stocks, and I want the process as repeatable as possible, preferably without even having to zero in between changing. Thought it might be best to use factory specs.

Might also be that my torque wrench has seen better days... :) Will try again with a another one.
  14. I also have a Winchester model 70 extreme weather and the manual calls for 35 lbs. torque on action screws , maybe this can help .
  15. Richr

Richr Copper BB

I did a lot of research on scope rail torque specs. Browning told me 18 inch pounds for the older receiver with eight bolts. However you will find on other forums story after story of the front bolts stripping out. Some that even went with fifteen inch pounds. Two after market companies recommended the front bolts to be torque to 10 inch pounds for their scope rails. I went with fifteen inch pounds for the rear. And ten inch pounds for the front four. I cleaned everything with alcohol first. Then blue loctite on all eight. Made sure not to have any get any inside the action. The newer actions require twenty five inch pounds. According to Browning. I checked the torque for the action screws. And they were at 35 inch pounds. I cleaned the bolts. Used purple loctite. My stock is the McMillan stock with no pillars.