7mm-08 strings

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by The Blur, Aug 29, 2016.

1. The Blur

The Blur Copper BB

I have a 5 year old 7mm-08 plastic BAR. 1st 2 shots are very decent. about 1", I'm happy. After the barrel gets warm, and then hot, the shots start stringing in an arc... like a crescent moon. 4-5 inchs off center at 100 yards.

If I let the barrel cool down, the shot returns to center.

I know it's a hunting rifle, not a range gun. But I like to sit at the range practicing for hunting season. and put 20 rounds though a sitting.

Can these guns be smithed to be accurate when hot ?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...
  3. Gdahron

Gdahron Copper BB

Not too many will touch the trigger because apparently, there is a fine line between semi and full auto when it comes to this rifle. I shot a bit with my .308 today and it does go from 1 moa to like 2 once it heats up... no where near what you got ... maybe you should check the forearm lug.
  4. Jason

Jason .22LR

I'm about to buy a BAR MK3 in 7mm-08 and I'm curious if you have an update?
  5. The Blur

The Blur Copper BB

2 years later... I never did anything about the 7mm-08 stringing.
    I did buy a .243 BAR, and it is deadly accurate. Even when hot. I shoot 300 yards. 200 yards all day. Maybe I got lucky and found the right ammo.

The 7mm-08 needs to go to a gun smith.
  6. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

I have a bar shorttrac in .308. I was obsessively ocd about breaking in the barrel, slowly shooting 20 rounds and cleaning between each. I made sure the barrel never got hot in between rounds and it is a tack driver with the right ammo. However, like all my european made rifles, they shoot copper loads like Barnes and Hornady gmx like poo.