Who reloads their own ammo?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Billythekid, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

No, I don't do any reloading at all. I happen to have a Gamemaster 141 in .35 Rem, and it seems like the ammo costs keep going up.

I don't shoot it enough to justify reloading, but your list did catch my eye. I have a box of shells here marked 1996, and it was $10.72 back then - now the same box is over $30!
  2. Disbo2112

Disbo2112 .22LR

Hey folks,

Looking at reloading for my Sweet 16.. since they seem to be twice the price of 12g.

For those of you that reload shotgun where is a one stop shop for powder, shot, primers and wads?

Ive seen some of the big stores but I figured some smart folks here have already figured it out.

thanks your consideration. Pls shoot a note here or PM me.

thanks D
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I reload Remington and Cheddite hulls. I bought quite a few cases of RGL’s and Herter’s a few years ago on sale. Powder, shot, primers, and Rem wads I got from Graf’s. SG16 wads came from Ballistic Products. And the recipes came from Lyman’s 5th.
  4. Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us .22LR

I hand load everything I use, except for steel shot shells.
    I couldn't afford to shoot competitively without hand loading.
    12 and 20 ga, .45 ACP, 9mm, 30-06, .303 Brit, .270 win., 375 H&H. I have dies for 300 win mag, 243 win, .308, and .35 Rem.
    I have 2 Mec 700's, a Dillon 550, and an ancient Herter's press.

cheers
  5. frogbert

frogbert Copper BB

I started reloading in the late 80s by bolting a Lee Loader in .44 mag. to a board and then clamping it to the kitchen table when I lived in an apartment. Now I live in a house and load for the;
    .44 mag
    .220 Swift
    .38-55 black and smokeless powder
    .32 S&W
    .40 S&W
    .303 Brit.
    I have a hand reloader for the .22 rim fire but haven't used it yet.
    Pic of the loading bench I made.
    loading bench.JPG
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. trapshoooter43

trapshoooter43 Copper BB

Started reloading in the late 80s, everything from .223 to 375 H&H magnun,as well as shotgun. Rifle loading saves alot on price, where loading 12ga target loads is pretty much for the enjoyment. Loading 16ga. 28ga and 410 is well worth it. I really enjoy experimenting and developing loads tailored to a particular rifle. Very satisfying when you start to see all the bullet holes start touching on the target, when you started out with 2" groups
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. Norske

Norske .410

Ballistic Products is close to a one-stop shop for shotgun reloaders.
    I began reloading with 45ACP as a poor college student in 1967. Now this retiree is reloading 45ACP, 38SP, 357 and 44 Magnum, 22-250, 257 Roberts, 6.5X55 Mauser, 300 Savage, 30-06, 358Win, 338Win Mag, 45-70, 28, 20, and 12 gauge.
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ballistic prod is a good place, however, I often find things cheaper elsewhere. The shipping kills it for me anyway. I do order from them but only when I can’t find it local.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I roll my own shotgun and rifle shells. I haven't got into pistol reloading yet.

Shotguns:
    12ga
    16ga
    20ga

Rifles:
    .218 Bee
    .223 Rem
    .243 Win
    .25-06 Rem
    .257 Weatherby
    .270 Win
    .270 Weatherby
    7mm Express aka .280 Rem
    7mm Rem Mag
    7mm STW
    .30-06 Govt
    .300 Win Mag
    .338 Win Mag
  10. Norske

Norske .410

I started reloading with a handgun. the differences are only a couple steps, and one of them is true for any straight case.
    The case mouth must usually need to be expanded to accept the bullet. The bullet will be held in place with a roll crimp (revolvers) or a taper crimp (semiautos). Case lengths need to be consistent for the crimps to be consistent.
    The cases are small, so the volume is small. After the bullets are seated the cartridge overall length must be correct. If the bullet is seated too deeply, you can have the effect of a 357Mag powder charge in a 38Spcl case, or a 9mm Parabellum in a 380 case. That second one has damaged many 9mm handguns. Also, since the powder charges are modest, double charging a case is more likely to happen with handgun reloading than rifle reloading.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have read this before. I pay close attention to detail when I reload so I don't think I would have those issues. However for some reason I’d be nervous loading handgun cartridges. I shoot very little handgun, so I think I will just buy it and not have to worry about it.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  12. Tom Kimbrel

Tom Kimbrel Copper BB

I have been reloading since 1995, started with .270 Win and continued with .223 Rem. I have shot .25 in groups with my reloads, rare, most of my reloads are about 1.5 moa. I enjoy and have learned a lot. My best reloads were with BLC2 and 55 Gr Hornady soft points in .223. I continue to try for smaller groups with other calibers. To name a few 22-250, 250 savage, 7mm-08 and will soon start .243.
  13. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator

I moved these posts here to this new section.
    Cheers!!