I need this X-Bolt

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Randy321, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Randy321

Randy321 .22LR

2. This rifle does represent a switch for X Bolt rifles. The Dura Touch finish Rifles in the 2018 Catalog will be 5he last of that finish. Wood finishes were being represented as not as durable, were out performing the synthetic stocks. The expensive carbon fiber weave, pretty much the centerpiece of the X Bolt Pro, combined with a coated stainless barrel and action has achieved two targets, better durability and lighter weight. Still the toughest stocks by far are the laminate wood stocks, but the heavier stocks in their line up. The X Bolt Pro though are expensive, and worth the difference to some! Since to X Bolt Pro has a lighter and tough stock, it probably represents what Browning should be doing for stocks. Question is though is the coated barrel and action worth this much more? The discontinued All Weather was extremely popular but Browning went for more streamlined offering essentially based on a lower level new rifle, a very budget based but a usable hunting rifle, outside of the X Bolt Line. Then the X Bolt Pro. I would chose the Pro everyday!
    But as the All Weather was a great option I am certain that needs bringing back. The Dura Touch was having a lot of failures, it hated greases, oils, insect repellents, etc.. But if you are set on the X Bolt Pro, it is a great choice, and expensive!
  3. krammer66

krammer66 Copper BB

4. Since this is a hunting rifle and I ALWAYS chose a modest recoil rifle, as stated very concisely in Joseph DelAsandro’s “The 7mm08 The Cure for the Magnum Addiction” the lightweight means easier carry, tougher in terms of performance. Most feel in actual hunting the recoil is not as big a factor. It is at the range that flinching, and the recoil all start to build up. I also chose a rifle for its cold shot performance as I am not going to be doing a whole lot of shooting.
  5. sschefer

sschefer .410

I agree with David. If you go light on the rifle weight, back off on the ammo choice to something that is a little more comfortable. My Win 70 Featherweight in 30-06 is at the upper limit for me and I'm a big guy. My neighbor who is smaller than me by a good bit hates it. However, my X-bolt Hells Canyon Speed with muzzle brake is a 300 WSM that shoots flatter than the 30-06 and has a much softer recoil. Think of it as kick versus push.

If you go with the 1 shot, cold barrel, hunting theory but still want to shoot it at the range then I would suggest that you use a Lead Sled so you can enjoy the rifle and it's incredible abilities. It's what I do so I don't develop an almost impossible to overcome flinch.
  6. I use a Caldwell Lead Sled on my 100 yard range and 800 yard range. The two ranges are separate at this TreeFarm. Tomorrow I will use the Lead Sled at the Lake Placid NY Range with a friend Brian who is a mmember there to sight in his new CZ USA 455 American .22 LR with a Nikon Scope and I will bring along my Winchester Model 94-22 .22LR lever Action and a Winchester Model 72 Bolt Action .22 LR with iron sights. Both of those are pretty well sighted in. It has been a long time since I have shot at the Lake Placid Range. Last time there I Shot 200 straight clays with my Beretta Silver Snipe 20 gauge over and under. It was about forty years ago. In May I go up to a local dealer in Westville and look at the X Bolt Pro in 6.5. That trip will just be a looksee. Then in about October I will make my next purchase. The Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 is my guess but I have quite a bit down on a Winchester Model 70 Dark Maple Featherweight Stainless in .243 which will be due to arrive about then. I may just convert my down payment to the X Bolt. Tommorows shoot will be to get to see what Brian might due with an upcoming competition for him there at the Placid Range. My competition days are over in that winning another would be no big deal especially in a local match. Most of my focus is aiming towards getting a rifle set up right. DaveyJ
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  7. I am thinking some of an X Bolt Eclipse Target in either 243 or 6.5. Saw one at the Lake Placid Range, and the guy Shooting was really shooting well. To say the least he is a real expert. He was shooting the now discontinued 22-250.