dented shotgun barrel remedy

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by MRCOOPER, Feb 5, 2018.

1. MRCOOPER

MRCOOPER Copper BB

Any body here know how to get it out?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Might be helpful to know a little more about it...

Firearm Type for example...
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. MRCOOPER

MRCOOPER Copper BB

It's my over and under 12 ga top barrel about 5" from mussel, It's also made in Japan
    It's a DENT Not a bulge (sorry) it's dented in about 1/16 of an inch about the size of a dime.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think the standard method is to cut off the damaged portion, but 5 inches is an awful lot of barrel to lose. I’d call Art’s.

http://artsgunshop.com/
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. Goose

Goose .410

most good gunsmiths should have dent removal tools .A long rod is fed into the barrel to the point of the dent ,some i have seen use hydraulics to expand collets outwards pushing out the dent others are expanded by hand as the collets are drawn tight to the barrel wall by a screw thread as you turn the handle.IF the barrel dent has a sharp crease heat is introduce to soften up the steel a bit but this takes real skill plus re-bluing.Let us know what your quoted .
  6. MRCOOPER

MRCOOPER Copper BB

Thank you but it aint my gun and the young man has been shooting it for some time the way it is, but again thank you for taking the time to talk to me about it.