Hog Hunting And Your Browning...

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by DHonovich, Mar 22, 2011.

1. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

As the title states, post up anything related to hog hunting and your Browning.
  2. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Anyone had much success with 00 buckshot and hogs? I've heard it's so-so, they will just run off after being hit. I assume a semi-auto rifle is standard hardware.
  3. joester

joester .22LR

buckshot has trouble penetrating the hog' "shield" around its neck/torso area. It only works at very close ranges. If you only use a shotgun, slugs are way better.
  4. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Sounds like my .35 Remington with a 200 grain silver tip would make a better hole puncher. :)
  5. joester

joester .22LR

I can 2nd that-First hog i ever shot was with that caliber load! in a Marlin 336 about 1990. Happy hunting.
  6. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Mine is an old Remington 141 pump with a 4x Redfield. Made in the early 40's I think.

I wonder if I can find someone in south Texas that will let me shoot their hogs? :)

I'm not much of a hunter but I could get into this...
  7. In my latest hunting practice I have used buck mark rifle for hog hunting, I can't say it was a success but really had fun.
  8. elibrown80

elibrown80 Guest

Hog hunting during night becomes ful of adventours . I use a Night vision Sight named BNS-P with my weapon. I enjoy it during night.
  9. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Unfortunately hog hunting doesn't exist in New York just yet but sure sounds like a lot of fun.
  10. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I've seen many people have much better luck with a 223 than a shotgun or 45-70 even. Hydrostatic shock is deadly on pigs and the slow bullets just can't produce it.
    A well placed bullet 1" behind and 1" below the ear with a varmint round (yes varmint round, they cause most shock) will drop a normal sized pig anytime. (Wont drop hogzilla)
  11. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I don't use any of my Brownings for hog hunting, just because I don't own any centerfire Browning rifles. My hog hunters are a .308 SPS and a Bushmaster Varminter. Around here, the hog population is somewhat smaller and can be taken easily with a .223 hunting round. Hit them around the ear and they drop on the spot, but even hitting them in the shoulder plate will drop them dead.
  12. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

One day I want to try my hand at Hog hunting! The Meat should be tasty too!
  13. Bigbuckool

Bigbuckool Copper BB

I took this one in my profile pic in January with my .300 Win Mag A-Bolt. Had to use non lead as it was in a condor zone (don't get me started) and Hornady 165gr. GMX stoned it at a little over 200 yards. I was impressed with the performance. .300 is probably overkill but shot's can get long where we were hunting.
    Planetcat and SHOOTER13 like this.
  14. studebaker

studebaker .22LR

restored_image_20170724113147961.jpg .50 cal Browning BP
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  15. SOG

SOG .22LR

I shot Russian wild boar with my 300WSM BLR take down. That was over kill. My friend was standing next to me when I took the shot. He asked what did I just see fly through the air ? Turns out it was a hunk of wild boar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. BG12

BG12 Copper BB

Here's one my son shot a few years ago with my A-Bolt 300 WinMag. He was 13 at the time. Been shooting it since he was 9. Gotta love the BOSS!

060.JPG
  17. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

image.jpeg Shot this nice sow with my .308 BAR Shorttrac. She was about 200 lbs on the hoof. Those are my buddies hanging it while I take the pic...