Hi-Power Discontinued: True?

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Mister Coffee, May 4, 2017.

1. Is it true that the manufacture of the Hi-Power has been discontinued, and is there any way to verify this?

I called Browning (800-333-3288) about this, and I got two different answers.

Thanks.
  2. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I have to call Browning/Winchester tomorrow anyway, I will be sure to talk to my connection and see if she has heard any buzz. She pretty much deals with the shotgun side of the business, but I trust her over most of the other Browning staff. I will let you know what I find out.
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    SHOOTER13 and Mister Coffee like this.
  3. Thanks, Rob. I appreciate that.
    Rob poston likes this.
  4. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Any time, happy to help!
    I did speak with Deborah today (as well as three other reps), and got mixed information as well. So finally, I went to the horse's mouth, so to speak. After talking directly to the VP for sales, this is what I found out.

Good news is that the Hi-Power is not discontinued. Yet. Browning still has them available, and will continue to distribute throughout the rest of the 2017 model year.
    Unfortunately however, it is on the chopping block. If it will return for the 2018 catalog is all up to how well it performs this year. Due to low sales, the Hi-Power is currently being reviewed for dismissal from production. If sales boost, then it will return. If they continue to remain stagnant, it will be discontinued from the manufacturer, and will not be available starting the 2018 catalog year.
    Also what concerns me is the rumor of discontinuing the Hi-Power being fairly well known. This will no doubt increase sales, as people will want to buy in before the prices increase (which happens whenever a popular firearm is discontinued), which might save it from being discontinued this year, but will likely have an adverse affect in the following year, due to sustainability of sales.
    I also asked about a possible catalog replacement, and he hit up on the idea of a possible 9mm 1911 to fill the void. While 1911's are my preferred handgun, a 9mm is (in my opinion) not a suitable replacement, either in functionality, or uniqueness, as everybody and their brother makes a 9mm 1911.
    All in all, no. The Hi-Power is not discontinued. But brace yourself, as the announcement will likely come this fall. Nothing is set in stone just yet, but the rumor is at least fact based. It will all boil down to sales. My advice, buy one, if you can. If they go disco, it will likely increase in value. If they do not, then you will still have a fine firearm. Win, win!

Incidentally, the likely reason for the mixed messages is the fact that while rumors are afloat (even inside Browning, itself), information has not been confirmed, as no official memo has been internally released to date regarding the elimination of the Hi-Power line.
    Mister Coffee likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the update Rob...
    Rob poston likes this.
  6. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Any time... happy to help. I just wish the news was better for you all.
  7. Thanks for this intel, Rob.

Once again, I feel like I just missed my opportunity. My favorite online site just sold out of the Hi-Power, and when they restock, I expect it will be at a higher price point. Nuts.
    Rob poston likes this.
  8. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Thanks for the effort in making multiple calls to Browning Rob, much appreciated. WADR though, you'll have to forgive my jaundiced view as the same "discontinued" speculation has been bandied about for years...and years :rolleyes:. And, it usually occurs around the SHOT and/or NRA shows when one of the little people...such as us ;), asks "The Question" of "someone" at the Browning booth. Subsequent calls to "someone" at Browning all too often follow and the mixed messages multiply. In my experience...and that of other BHP goobers, calls to Browning...to say nothing of trips to their website, all too often result in confused and/or downright wrong info. Perhaps you have a personal relationship of trust with the Sales VP, in that case more power to you. Perhaps...and it seems more and more likely as time goes by, this year the annual speculation will...God forbid, prove true :(. I hope not, but I hope not each year :confused:.

As far as the "encouragement" you take from Ten Ring's pair of alloy BHPs, there's no solace to be had there as they are NOT new alloy BHPs...false hope my friend. FN hasn't produced alloy BHPs for decades, Ten Ring's pistols are European Police surplus produced in the '80s and sold by an Ohio importer/distributor...they were NOT just "released by the factory". Had it been the case, it certainly would have been cause for celebration :D.

Sorry to be the wet blanket :(.....
  9. "BHP Goober," eh? I could feel your eyes on me, sub-moa. :D And you're right. I bought two new Hi-Powers this year. At the time, I thought it was rather spendy and indulgent of me. Now, I can't contain the urge to get one more. I need an intervention. ;)
  10. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Actually my eyes were mostly fixed in the mirror my friend ;):), as you know my BHP Goober creds are pretty well established :confused:. I will say that with 2 new BHPs SO FAR ;) this year alone, you are at risk of falling into said category yourself :D.

Intervention? Containing urges? Naaaaa, you just need to spend more time searching for "The Right One" :D.....
  11. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I HAVE BEEN GROSSLY MISQUOTED. (Hopefully my posts were not so misleading).

The two aluminum-framed Hi Powers I bought last month are not new production or even "factory" in the normal sense of the word. Those were a very special and limited run of govt-only pistols from 1980 and 1981. They were made at the FN factory yes, but not recently, not in any large number, and not intended for the civilian market. The US surplus company that got hold of them sold out in mere hours, as such a rare gun could be expected to be in high demand.

It's sad to see the HP go. Fortunately there are lots out there. If I had the money, I would set up a factory state-side to make a new alloy-framed HP in the vein of the alloy-framed 1911's that are so popular.

**OK, I now see that sub moa has already corrected the error. I would have been surprised had that been left to stand.
  12. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

My sincere apologies for this. When I read your first paragraph (below), it read like they were new firearms you had purchased. Again, I apologize for any confusion that my reference may have caused. I have since edited this out of my two replies.
    I do however, stand behind the rest of my post, as this came directly from the top brass at Browning in this respective department. As I said, nothing is either confirmed or denied, rather that it is in fact in question whether the BHP will be around for the next catalog year. With all due respect to sub-moa, I will take what is said from Browning directly as the truth, until I see otherwise. His post was definitely informative and makes complete sense, however I am just going by what was told to me by Browning.

"Well I pulled the trigger in a hurry and put in an order for two Browning HP's with the aluminum frame from Ohio Ordnance Works. They have confirmed shipment of just that to my local FFL. (The sold out in less than 24 hours)."
  13. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I completely agree that these sort of rumors can lead to speculation and therefore giving false legitimacy to something that will likely never happen. I truly hope this is the case.
    The only thing that concerns me is the fact that the information given to me came from the sales veep, who had admitted that the Hi-Power has suffered a drop in sales numbers in recent years, and that they are researching other options for a catalog replacement for the Hi-Power.
    I suppose time will tell.
  14. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

I do appreciate the effort you put forth and did take note of the significance of a VP commenting Rob. I was just attempting to insert a bit of "Been there/Seen that" to the subject as such comments have emanated from Browning Arms for years. Sales of the BHP...unfortunately, went from flat to "slipping" years ago :(.

Soooo, I would respectfully disagree with the; "something that will likely never happen" part o_O. There's no doubt in my mind one sad day Browning Arms will cease importation of our beloved BHP altogether...hell there's no doubt in my mind that one day FN will actually cease production :eek::(, and I'm afraid it will be sooner rather than later :(:mad:. I'm conflicted as to "hoping" that won't occur until after I'm dead and gone as it might just hasten my demise rather lengthen availability of the BHP :eek:o_O;):).

I do heartily agree with your advice; "time will tell" my friend ;):).....
    Rob poston likes this.
  15. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

No apology necessary. We all misread things.
    Rob poston likes this.
  16. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I can definitely see that. Heck, if it was not for speculation and rumors, a few million people would not have bought AR's during the Obama administration. ;-)
    Hopefully the Hi-Power will remain for years to come. After all, it is a flagship in Browning's design and a staple in firearm history.
  17. ^^And I don't think the Hi-Power is as over-priced as some may say. My last one was $910.00 (blue finish, fixed sights). How much are they in the EU?
  18. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Agree MC :).....

Per Shooter 13's request...copied for posterity from the other (closed) "Discontinued" thread:

In The Ten Ring

Scroll down the whole way.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/hi-power-pistols/discontinued.html

sub-moa

What am I missing Ten Ring? I don't see where the site has changed at all my friend? I did scroll to the bottom as suggested and found nothing that hasn't been there . You'll recall the recent "Discontinued?" thread...the one that contained the erroneous reference to your alloy BHPs, where-in I bemoaned the issues with Browning Arms...both on the phone and their website.

What I'm seeing on the Browning Arms website indicates:

The Discontinued Models include the 75th. Anniversary Models (MkIII & Standard...fixed and adjustable sights), manufactured in 2010...for the 75th. anniversary (1935 - 2010) of the BHP, yep.

The Digital (Camo) Model(s)...there were several, all of which were very poor sellers that were discontinued quickly...years ago, yep.

The Practical Model in it's fixed and adjustable...as well as 9mmP and .40 sub-variants is a particular favorite of mine, I've got 8 + several "practicals", was discontinued by Browning...but not FN, about 10+ years ago, yep.

The MkIII listed as discontinued is the .40, you'll note that the MkIII 9mmP...both the 13 and 10 round Options are still listed as "Current Production", yep.

The Standard listed as discontinued is the .40, you'll note that the Standard 9mmP...both the 13 and 10 round Options are still listed as "Current Production". You'll also note the fixed and adjustable sights are listed under "Additional Product Information", yep.

Have a look at "Current Production".

With all that said, I still revert to "Don't trust the Browning Arms website"...it has always been rife with errors.

AND, keep in mind; Browning Arms...here in the US, went from an independent entity importer (owned by the Browning family) from 1954 to an FN internal import entity in 1977 when the larger FN bought them out. During one of FN's restructuring efforts they formed Browning SA/Browning International and even renamed FN Viana...the assembly plant in Viana Portugal, Browning Viana. Browning Arms here has always been allowed a great deal of leeway in what they import and how they describe what they import...right from the get go. FWIW, Browning was not the only North American importer utilized by FN over the years as well. So who knows what will happen...and when .

Or did I miss something here .....
  19. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest