My first Hi-power at age 67. Better late than never

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Borg Warner, Mar 29, 2015.

1. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Borg,

Congrats on the Hi Power. I bought my first one (all chromed "Capitan" with gold plated trigger and high adjustable sights) for $550.00 in 2001, my first gunbroker purchase. I got it for pistol competition but soon got too busy with college, so it only did one competition but it did so well a police officer told me he "wanted one for duty." It is still a favorite shooter of mine.

I really like the HP and now have a Mark 2 and Mark 3 from Israeli service and a .40 Practical.

I am considering getting some trigger work/Cylinder and Slide SFS system put in and start carrying either the Mark 3 or the Practical, once I get an Andrews Monarch holster for it.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. sub-moa, please give us some documentation that Iraeli surplus HPs were made by FN?
    Steve
  3. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

Nice piece, have fun with it!
  4. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

At the peril of necroposting...haven't been around since 08/14/16 :rolleyes:: CDI Sales has sold thousands of Israeli surplus FN BHPs of all iterations from pre-war through MkIII based...both FN marked and Browning marked...contracted directly with FN, purchased on the open market, seized or obtained by "other" means. There were also some WWII Inglis HPs, various iterations of the FEG P9 and P9M HP "clones"/"copies" and finally the FEG based Kareen HP "clone" known as the Mk1. The VAST majority of these BHPs were produced by FN, then the Hungarian FEGs and finally the FEG based Kareen "clones". I own about a dozen from CDI and a couple more from AIM. FWIW, this is common knowledge based upon the direct experience of many on various ACTIVE BHP sub-forums.

In addition, if you're willing to lay out the $$$ for collector publications, there are several, but I'd suggest "FN Browning Pistols"...Second Edition is best, by Anthony Vanderlinden...THE current BHP authority. It is, IMHO...and that of others, the best single publication covering the BHP today. Although the BHP is discussed throughout the book, the chapter beginning at page 289 and extending through page 359 covers the BHP in detail...much detail, with many, many pics. The most specific answer to your question can be found on page 346 "Decades of contracts: The High Power in Israel". It explains the relationship between Israel and Belgium..."FN became the arsenal for the new nation" and "The first High Power contracts date from 1950-1952. The Israeli state became the longest continuous purchaser to High Power pistols". Again, that doesn't even take into account the untold number of FN BHPs obtained by Israel by hook or crook.

K ;)?
  5. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

If I may 10 Ring? If your first BHP was "all chrome...with a gold plated trigger and high adjustable sights" is was not a Capitan (tangent) Model...at least not an original unmolested Capitan. You're describing...except the "Capitan" part ;), an FN Silver Chrome/Sport Model. "Silver Chrome" = matte HC...fitted with a gold plated/washed trigger, "Sport" refers to the full adjustable rear sight.

Congrats on rejoining the club with your surplus MkII and MkIII as well as your Practical .40 :).

FWIW, the SFS is adored by some and despised by others, I'd suggest you look into it in detail before laying out the $$$ ;):).
    In The Ten Ring likes this.
  6. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

"If you may?" Are you assuming that just because you know more about a subject and you can offer a correction in a respectful way that I can act maturely and accept this correction without a temper tantrum? :cool: LOL

I have been calling it a "capitan" since I first read that on a gunbroker ad. SMH. It looks like I've been misnaming it for 16 years! Thanks for the correction. So my all chromed, high profile adjustable sight, and gold plated trigger should be called "Sport Model?"

Thanks for the correction, I'm not a snowflake so welcome it, thanks again. Hmm.....so the "capitan" is the rear sight on a sliding ramp (like a Mauser 98K)?
  7. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Actually it's quite refreshing my friend, and much appreciated, thanks :).

Sounds like the original seller was confused in the first place, not really unusual...consider yourself lucky he didn't insist it was spelled "Captain Model" as all too often occurs ;).

Post WWII FN pretty much did away...as regular production, with the tangent sighted P35s, as the original idea of a pistol carbine had devolved into "just pistol". With the name change of '73 at FN, they designated the fixed sight BHP "Vigilant Model", the "new" adjustable sight...nicknamed the "Beer Can", BHP became the "Sport Model" and the resurrected tangent sight BHP became the "Capitan Model". FN later continued their named model convention with the "Competition Model"...meant specifically for European UIT competition, later still your "Silver Chrome Model" and then others...including your "Practical Model".

The original "Silver Chrome Model" identified by the matte HC finish, gold trigger, contrasting controls...and hammer, Pachmayr grips...because of which the SN was moved from the frontstrap back up to the side of the frame AND the "Beer Can" adjustable rear sight/ramp front sight. Later, once the MkIII was in production, the adjustable rear sight was added and the front sight became a "Sharkfin" fit to the MkIII front dovetail. The "Silver Chrome Model" followed suit AND...infrequently, added the MkIII fixed sights. That's why later adjustable sight "Silver Chrome Models" had the "Sport" moniker added.

And yes, the "Capitan Model"...periodically/haphazardly produced, is identified by the tangent sights, even when produced...later, with a frame with otherwise MkIII/Standard features.

Hope that helps :).....
  8. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

No problem, the "oh that hurts my feelings" crowd is a direct result of coddling and the political correctness movement. America must shame and laugh those types out of existence or the country is doomed.

So is my pistol called a "Sport Model" or "Silver Chrome Model?" What should I call it?
  9. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

It was a Silver Chrome Model - Sport :). If you were to advertise such a BHP for sale, you should start with "Silver Chrome Model"...as that's the most unique description, the "Sport" only delineates the adjustable sights.

If it were a MkIII based polished blue BHP with the same adjustable sights is would be identified first as a "Standard Model" and then "Sport".

Same/same for the Practical Model ;):).....
  10. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Ah ha! Well, now I know. My first HP was a "Silver Chrome Model- Sport." Thank you for the clarification. :)
  11. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

UR most welcome my friend :). FN and Browning have done some weird stuff...just to confuse us :confused:;):).....
  12. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

"To confuse us?" Maybe it was marketing ploys, like engraving/stamping "Sweet 16" on the side of a receiver. ;) LOL
  13. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

You've got that right :D.....