End of brass reloading?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by XDMBOB, Feb 6, 2017.

1. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Two Piece Nickel Aluminum Stainless Steel ( NAS3) case...

40+ Reloadings / No trimming

...Interesting...but probably more expensive...but, of course, that cost would be spread out over the long reloading life of the case.
  3. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

Yea, 500 cases are 60 bucks, special dies 90 bucks! 40 plus reloads may be a good thing!?!? I like the fact you can pick them up with a magnet too! If they come out with .45 I my give them a try, who knows?
  4. oldgreyguy

oldgreyguy .22LR

My first... second... and third take on this is... Here is a company looking to create a market for something that they dreamed up.
    MZ5 likes this.
  5. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

True but, the brass cases probably seemed like a crazy idea too, and people thought the muzzle loader would always be! If companies never experimented we'd all be shooting rocks in slingshots!
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I don't reload yet, but do save ALL my brass every time I shoot...decades now...all sorted by caliber...500 cases to a zip lock bag.

I figured it would be a commodity worth saving when I did...and now I see the prices have been going up for de-primed brass on the web and at gun shows.

Most ranges in my area STILL don't like you to shoot steel cased ammo...WOLF, TULA, the BEARS...yet MOST of the manufacturers are using it now.

Guess I did the right thing...
    XDMBOB likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My range has banned steel bullets, I'm not sure why a range would care what the case was made of.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. oldgreyguy

oldgreyguy .22LR

thats why I reload with a Rock Chucker... covers rocks and brass :)
    XDMBOB likes this.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well...Most steel bullets come in steel cases...hence when they ask to see the ammo, and if it's a grey case...and attracts to a magnet...they say no go, and offer you to buy their brass ammo.

It's their logic...not mine.

10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Makes sense, I guess. But plenty of steel cased ammo contain lead core bullets. I have some WWII .45 ACP with steel cases.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yea...me too.

From the Frankford Arsenal 1943...my Mom worked there as a kid of 18.

But...for the most part... the ranges just equate grey case...steel case...steel penetrator bullet.

I have only one box of 7.62x39mm for my AK that has a brass case...collectors item I guess.
    XDMBOB and Rudolph31 like this.
  12. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator

I moved these posts here to this new section.
    Cheers!!
  13. Norske

Norske .410

My range, where I volunteer as a range safety officer, checks all 223/5.56 and 308/7.62 and everything that fits in an AK or Mosin ammo with a magnet on the bullet. Steel jacketed and steel core bullets make for excessive wear to the bullet traps. We don't care about the cases. Russian cartridges are tricky to test with a magnet, because the steel core only occupies the rear of the gilding metal jacketed bullet. The front can be hollow so it tumbles on impact.
    Rudolph31 likes this.