High Power Safari Grade

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by pacecars, Oct 8, 2016.

1. pacecars

pacecars Copper BB

I have wanted a High Power Safari Grade for as long as I can remember. I finally found a salt free one in .300 H&H Magnum for under $1000 so I jumped on it. It is in excellent condition and has a Burris 3x9 scope in Weaver pivot mounts. I do plan on getting some better looking rings and will probably put a Leupold 6x42 scope on it.

[​IMG]
    Setters4life, MZ5 and SHOOTER13 like this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Congrats on a beautiful rifle...enjoy her.
  3. pacecars

pacecars Copper BB

I am not having much luck reading the serial number chart to find the year of manufacture to see if it is C&R eligible if someone can help me out? The serial number is 3L18793. I came up with 1963 which would be great since I have a C&R and could have it shipped to me and cut out the added expense of going through the dealer but I want to be sure.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Go to the source:

Browning Arms Company ยท Customer service
    upload_2016-10-9_18-36-55.jpeg

+1 800-333-3288
    MZ5 likes this.
  5. pacecars

pacecars Copper BB

Called Browning and they confirmed it was made in 1963 which puts it over 50 which means I can have it sent directly to me and save the money on transferring it through my regular FFL dealer!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. pacecars

pacecars Copper BB

I am thinking it would look much better with a Leupold gloss 6x36 scope in either Warne QD rings or maybe Conetrol. The Warnes would make it easier to have a backup scope to put on it if the primary breaks
  7. glp

glp Copper BB

I'm new also and just acquired a safari in 308 Norma Mag. I found this link in the obsolete browning rifle forums, which indicates yours is a 1963 rifle, well shy of the salt wood fiasco.
    Mine is 3L21612 fyi. I have a pre browning FN Mauser in 30/06 so jumped on this one when I found it at 850 with rings and bases, no scope --Greg

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

9. glp

glp Copper BB

If you are a C&R license holder you can.