1955 Browning Superposed 12 ga.

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by manxmariner, Oct 21, 2016.

1. manxmariner

manxmariner Copper BB

I have a 1955 Browning Superposed 12 ga. 2-3/4, 30" barrels, St. Louis, MO, sn# 45xxx, round tang, that I would like to get a ball park value on. Any ideas or additional info you experts can give?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Seems well used...I'll let the other members here weigh in on value.
  3. manxmariner

manxmariner Copper BB

It has knocked a few ducks out of the sky. :) it is not a safe queen that is for sure.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Copy that...no queens except my wife in my house !!
  5. About $900 bucks; For exact value, need to know if it's a Trap gun (beavertail) or a Field gun; is the opening lever right of center, or left of center? Ivory bead or not, etc, etc. The Buttpad detracts a bit vs a butt plate. All these things affect the value, but right now Grade 1 Superposed's are not demanding good prices for some reason.
  6. manxmariner

manxmariner Copper BB

Thank you for your response. Opening lever opens to right. Bead looks gold to me. Gold trigger. By beaver tail do you mean the forearm (see photos). I don't know what the difference is between trap gun and field gun. Maybe these additional photos will help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

He means when the gun is locked up, is the lever to the right? When new it should be, and as it wears it moves toward the left. Left of center is bad -- just like politics!
  8. manxmariner

manxmariner Copper BB

Yes, it is to the right of center.

Here is more info:

1955 Superposed
    12 ga., 2-3/4
    Belgium made
    LOP 14.25, 15" with pad
    Gold trigger
    RKLT
    Choke, top * full, bottom ** modified

9. SuperX

SuperX Copper BB

The 1955 Superposed looks clean for 60 years old and could be either a Trap, Field, or Sporting O/U.
    Best that the butt pad be a Browning pad. If the action is loose but still locks up tight it is still a shooter.
    Sending the Superposed to Art's or MGW expect at least $300 + to tighten and rebuild the action if needed.
    The Superposed barrels are not Chromium Lined and not recommended for steel shot. Values range from $900 - $1400 if there are no cracks in the wood, metal rust, or barrel dents. The bluing still looks good and home applications of dark walnut finish restorer will help the stock and forend. A Browning cased would also add value.