Anyone seen a buttstock and for-end like this?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Wingman, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Here is a picture of the stock and fore-end off my beloved 1950’s 12G Auto-5. I wanted to get some comments and views and the wood on this gun as its different to my 1930’s gun and many others I have seen. The fore-end has a fairly deep scallop at the receiver end above the finger groove, at first it looks like its broken but its not, both sides are identical and finished perfectly. The stock has a small pin on it at the wrist, but its not split or damaged in any way (that I can see anyways). In fact I had another stock that was identical to this on a gun I bought for spares, so it doesn’t look like a repair but I cant fathom out why its like this. It seems to much of a coincidence that 2 guns would have precisely the same repair!

So I am just curious if anyone can shed any light on this? 20160905_183725-600x1067-480x854.jpg
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Can't say that I have a good reply...but, that wood is beautiful.
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Yes its come out great and I am pleased that I did it myself thanks for your comment!

I am proud of my (small) collection of Auto-5's and sure do enjoy using them on clays and game!

Aint they pretty!

20160916_112945-480x853.jpg
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The S/V book has a picture of a military/police 8-shot model with that reinforcing bolt. My guess on a gun made for heavy loads it helps prevent cracks, and on yours it probably repaired a crack.

I agree with Shooter, the stock came great.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Oh, I forgot to mention the forearm. My guess is that it was badly damaged and it was easier to make it symmetrical than to repair. Still looks good.
  6. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

It does look good and shoots great! I am travelling to the US on business in a few weeks and was planning to buy a synthetic stock for it until a really nice wood one turns up to replace this one I'll keep the original as a spare but still not sure about fitting a synthetic stock to an auto-5!
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Where in the U.S. are you going?
  8. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Plymouth MN and Chicago

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
  9. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Hi longboy I doubt a Brit on business would be allowed go to carry! Nice ide though I miss my handguns since they were banned in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk