1947 Auto 5 short barrel mystery

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Not The 10th Man, May 30, 2016.

1. Not The 10th Man

Not The 10th Man Copper BB

I finally fulfilled a childhood dream the other day, and got a 12 ga. Browning Auto 5. I gave about $500 for it. I remember when I was about ten years old riding along in my Father's pick-up telling him all about how I want a shotgun. He asked me whether I wanted a double barrel or a pump. I told him I wanted a "Browning Sweet Sixteen except in 12 ga". He arched his eyebrows and remarked that was quite ambitious for a fella my age. I guess he was right. I'm in my mid-forties now, and just got around to it.

My new shotgun has remarkably good finish on it, with the only problem being just a little wear on the barrel where it reciprocates and a tiny smidge of surface rust from spending at least the last 25 years or so in a closet or safe unfired. It has one of the most gorgeous chunks of wood I've ever seen used for a gunstock as well.

The serial numbers indicate that the gun was Belgium made in 1947. The SN# on the bbl. matches the receiver, and is marked with two stars, which indicates a modified choke. Now here's where I'm a bit confused:

The barrel only measures 20.5" from the receiver- 21.5" from the breech, which leads me to believe it was likely sawed off at some point, but...the bore constriction is 0.690, which seems to vary from a tight modified choke, to a full choke, depending on the source. In any case, I believe it's a far cry from cylinder bore, which is what I would expect if it were cut down. I'm not a shotgun guy by any stretch, but a 22" bbl. with modified choke does not seem a very likely combination at it's time of production? Does anyone have any helpful thoughts to share on the matter? I suppose I could probably post some pics, I'm just not real sure which would be helpful?
  2. Not The 10th Man

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

WELCOME TO THE BROWNING OWNERS FORUM !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...a mandatory step for membership.

Enjoy the forum.
  4. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Thats surely been chopped, I have not seen or heard of any factory barrels so short. Those with more knowledge than me will come along soon though and give a definitive answer!

Nice looking gun though!
  5. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

If only these old Brownings could talk! In my area some hunters used guns with short barrels in thick brush hunting.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello and welcome. According to the S/V book, 26" was the shortest barrel offered, but barrels could be ordered in any length. I suspect that is the case with your barrel, as I can't think how it could be cut down and a new choke formed. A clue can be found by removing the barrel and looking for the 2 measurements stamped underneath. One is the bore, the other is the muzzle diameter. The difference is the choke. If the measurements match, I'd say you've got a custom Auto-5.
    [​IMG]

The picture is from my own 1947 12 gauge. You can see the constriction is .1mm and the barrel is marked with 3 stars for Cylinder. 18.3mm works out to .720" which is pretty narrow so just measuring at the muzzle can give you the wrong impression.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.fnbrowning.com/#!browning-auto-5-shotguns/ef7a2
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  7. kennedy759

kennedy759 Copper BB

I have a A5 16 ga made in 1929, it has a nonmatching barrel made in 1930, it is 24 .75 inches long with a raised vent rib, and IC choke. speculation is its an extra barrel special ordered. I shoot skeet with it, the short barrel swings fast.
  8. Not The 10th Man

I'd like to extend a long overdue "Thank you!" to ya' Rudolph! Good information! as it turns out, I really do have a genuine, 20.5" modified choke made in 1947. I've been told that it does not add any value to the gun, but I still think it's very darn cool, and I'm not real hot on the notion of selling it anyways. That being said, I greatly appreciate all the thoughts and input stated on the matter. Now I can wonder less and shoot more. ; )
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Rudolph IS the man...
    Rudolph31 likes this.