How difficult are the following....

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by MrDig, Sep 19, 2012.

1. MrDig

MrDig .22LR

Is it difficult to remove the Magazine safety? or disable it if that is a better term.

Last is it difficult to replace the spur style hammer for a rounded one? Do I need to replace the seer as well?
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

3. MrDig

MrDig .22LR

Thanks that does help.
  4. Darreld Walton

Darreld Walton Copper BB

I've heard both sides of leaving the magazine disconnect as-is, as-is with a "trigger job", disabling the disconnect, and removing it outright. Some thoughts to consider, are these..... http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/MagazineSafety.htm
    In the end, I bought, and had installed, the Cylinder & Slide hammer/trigger pieces that eliminate the magazine disconnect altogether, and gives a bit improved shape to the trigger. If I'd had the opportunity to use one so modified back in 1972, I'd have had my own done the next day instead of waiting until 2012 to do it.
    http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index...BHPparts&sid=esli2b16u42ct3dal1z7584p0q6522y1
    Hairtrigger likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the info Darrel...
  6. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Just don't carry the gun for protection. The bad guy's lawyer or the DA could say to the non gun owner jury "see! He's so reckless he took a safety off the gun!" So keep that in mind.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. RossA

RossA Copper BB

I have to disagree that disabling the mag safety will cause any more liability in the case of a self defense shooting. If I shoot someone in self defense, I have already manually disengaged the thumb safety, and I am not shooting "accidentally." I am shooting intentionally and I fully intend not to have a safety get in my way.
    Now in the case of a negligent, unintended shooting, it might be a different story.
  8. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Massad Ayoob will disagree with you. If anyone doesn't know who he is, well, then, I guess that person doesn't read a whole lot on the subject of justifiable homicide.

I don't think Ayoob has actually seen that line of attack, but he was sufficiently worried to advise against a mag safety removal on a carry gun. Anyone that witnessed what Zimmerman went through could definitely see an unscrupulous DA or robber's attorney going that direction. Also, be advised that juries selected will have zero gun experience. The lawyers chose the juries and they like them pretty gun ignorant.

And I love my HP's but I'm not too sure I want to invite that.

Here is Ayoob's latest book, if anyone is interested. It is an eye opener.

http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Force-Understanding-Right-Defense/dp/1440240612
  9. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Believe it or not gun owners can be paranoid.
    No real life examples I have ever heard of any gun owner being on trial and the mag safety removal coming into the argument. Another is handloads
    Just paranoia
    Better trigger sure helps accuracy
  10. RossA

RossA Copper BB

While I follow Massad's writings and admire him, he hasn't been trying cases in court for almost 30 years like I have. If someone can show me a real life case where someone has been convicted because he removed a mag safety, I might rethink my position.
    Hairtrigger and pendennis like this.
  11. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

Massad Ayoob has a large following, but he's neither a lawyer, nor a doctor; and his advice and pronouncements should be taken in that vein.

I was advised by both a lawyer who has a great deal of experience in self-defense cases, and my personal physician, whom I trust greatly; that if I were involved in a self defense shooting, that I should never make any statement to the police until I spoke to an attorney, and be checked out by a physician who specializes in trauma and PTSD.

On another forum, I was excoriated by an attorney who had only experience as a corporate insurance lawyer, and an "expert" who had attended an Ayoob seminar.

I'll stick by the advice I was given by two real professionals in their fields of expertise.

PS - The attorney also advised that more likely you'd be charged based on the circumstances and intent, and not by the weapon.
  12. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

You men seem to be forgetting how expensive good lawyers and expert witnesses are and how gun ignorant/educated by the main stream media jurors are.

I'll stick with Massad Ayoob's advice and not carry a pistol with a safety removed or hand loads.

Massad Ayoob is a known quantity, while each one of us here, goes by a made up name on a free-to-join internet forum.

For anyone interested, Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self Defense page 216 deals with what one can be expected to be accused of concerning removing a magazine safety and pages 217 and 218 cover what one can expect to be accused of concerning handloads. Page 218 closes with "It's your life, your handware, your loved ones who'll go through the ordeal with you....and it's your choice."

I'll leave it at that.
  13. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Not to mention the fact that anything can happen in a court of law. Case in point, a few weeks ago, a judge found in favor of the Sandy Hook victims' families against Bushmaster, thus allowing a civil case to proceed against the gun manufacturer. Now keep in mind that there is a Federal law clearly stating that a firearm manufacturer cannot be held liable for the actions of the possessor, the rifle was purchased legally, and the whole argument rests on the claim that it is a "military weapon" with "no practical purpose" in the civilian market such as hunting or home defense (which is both untrue as well as irrelevant)... still, the judge found in favor of the plaintiffs- meaning that Bushmaster (who has done absolutely nothing wrong) will have to spend a fortune fighting a non-valid case. My heart feels deeply for the victims' families, but this is wrong.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  14. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

You can bet that any shooting will cost you about $10K out of pocket, justified or not. Again, Ayoob is not a lawyer, nor is he a physician.

He's also stated that you must admit to a shooting in order to claim self-defense. That may be true in a literal sense. But, you never admit anything to the police until you've spoken to an attorney. This includes making the "911" call. Those are public records.

In case you haven't seen this video, it's well worth the fifty, or so, minutes to watch both parts. This was made by a practicing law professor, and police detective:

15. Welcome to the forum. Removing any safety feature will surely invite unwanted prosecuting attorney's attention. In my experience with HPs most parts are not easily replaceable with others(ie: your hammer).
    Steve
  16. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

I've removed the magazine safety from several, including a just purchased Standard model in .40 S&W. It's not a really difficult job. I've always insured that the gun is properly clamped down, then the sear pin protected by a couple of layers of "gaffer's" tape. I use a 5/16" flat punch to bring the pin down to frame level, then a hardened, cupped end nail set to get the pin below the surface, and it's always just fallen out. I use a piece of scrap wood to support the trigger when I remove the trigger pin. After that, the magazine disconnect comes right out. I put the pin back in the trigger, and then re-assemble, reversing the process. I re-use the gaffer's tape to protect the left side of the frame as I re-install the pin.

I do keep a couple of new sear pins on hand,

In case you haven't seen gaffer's tape, it's used by photographers when they need to attach lights to a wall temporarily. The tape holds well, won't damage paint, comes off without leaving tape residue, and it's about three times the thickness of duct tape.

I look at it this way, and how it was explained to me by an attorney with a lot of experience in concealed carry law, etc. He said that the prosecutors would be looking at intent and circumstances above all. There are far more pistols out there that don't have magazine disconnects. 1911's, CZ75's, Glocks, M&P's, and so on.