Using Steel Shot in your Browning

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by Billythekid, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

http://www.browning.com/customerservice ... asp?id=128

Per Browning's instructions:

All current Browning shotguns with the Invector or Invector-Plus choke tube system are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ring bulge" just inches behind the muzzle or irreversible damage or harm to the shooter depending on the firearm.  Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

All Browning shotguns with the Invector choke or Invector-Plus tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.

2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT:

The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used. (Shown below, Begian Superposed Over and Under.)

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: Nearly all Browning firearms manufactured after 1975 have two letters in the serial number. The two letters indicate the year of manufacture: M=0, Z=1, Y=2, X=3, W=4, V=5, T=6, R=7, P=8, N=9.

FUTURE: Obviously, we have no control over the ammunition companies and the loads they will produce in the future. So, if in doubt, please check with us or the ammunition company before using new loads in your shotgun.
  2. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

So, I guess that means I'm not supposed to use steel shot in my 1957 Superposed Lightning?

Does that mean mine's not made as well as the new guns, or . . . :roll:
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Yes, that means that your gun is not made as well as the new stuff. If I were you, I would sell that piece of junk ASAP! Now, I am a nice guy, so I would make you a reasonable offer to take it off your hands... ya know, just to help out a friend. :mrgreen:
  4. jcs266

jcs266 .22LR

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but if I may clarify something?

I have a 1969 A-5 Mag 12 with a Made in Belgium barrel. It has a 3" chamber and two screw-in chokes (Colonial Arms SuperSteel Mod & Full)... Is this barrel OK with STEEL SHOT since it has the Colonial Arms chokes? Or is this Made in Belgium barrel made of a steel that just cannot be used with STEEL shot?

My other A-5 is a Light Twelve that has a spare 28" bbl Full choke with 2 3/4" chamber. This barrel is MADE IN JAPAN. I'm going to eventually have it cut down to 26" and have screw-in chokes installed. Once I've installed the screw-in chokes can I then use this MADE IN JAPAN barrel with steel shot if I stick with Modified or more open choke tubes?

Thanks!
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

6. jcs266

jcs266 .22LR

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

No problem...let us know what you find out.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Your barrel was modified to accept screw-in chokes so I don't blame Browning for their answer. If it were mine, I'd go ahead and shoot steel using the modified choke only. I'd also never let anyone else shoot it. That way, I'd be the only one at risk.

Please note, I have ZERO actual experience shooting steel out of barrels not designed to handle it, so the above is opinion only.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Solid advice sir...thanks for the input !!