Need to Know What I Should Look For

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Scott Hughes, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Scott Hughes

Scott Hughes Copper BB

Tomorrow, I am going to a local gun show. I am going to look for a Browning A5. My father once owned one and, regrettably, had to sell it when I was just a baby to pay some bills. Even though I don't know for sure, but I would being willing to bet that my "baby" bills were the ones he needed extra money for. Every time we see a Browning, he reminisces about the one he once owned.

So, I plan on trying to purchase one to fill that "empty" spot in our family gun cabinet. I want to get one as close to his previous A5 as possible. I know that it was manufactured in Belgium before 1970; probably late 60's. I know that it was NOT a Light-12. It had a vent-ribbed barrel. I am pretty sure it had the gold trigger option; however this is one thing that I don't think would matter.

Can anyone please tell me what I should look for in the way of potential problems from a near 50 year old shotgun. Keep in mind that it would be at a gun show... so it is not like I can perform a complete dis-assembly and inspection. I was hoping to find out any obvious warning signs to look out for. I know about the cracked stocked problem at the rear tang. I know about the forend cracking closest to the receiver. Other than those 2 things, I don't have a clue as what to look for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Scott !!
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Scott--I take a snap cap or fired shell and cover the primer with tape. Dry fire with that in the chamber and check that there's a nice hole in the tape.

Put your dummy shell in the magazine and cycle the gun by pushing the barrel aft, then release. The shell should chamber. Do it again and the shell should eject and the bolt should lock back.

Make sure the bolt has 2 extractors-- often one will be missing.

The choke is marked by stars, 1 is Full, 2 Modified, 3 Cylinder. **- is Improved.

Good luck!