Dry fire/safety switch for 1964 Medalist is stuck

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Joseph Zulaski, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Howdy,

Just joined as I just put money down on a 1964 Browning Medalist in perfect shape except that the Dry Fire/Safety switch seems to be stuck in the Dry Fire mode. I'll be paying it off and picking it up tomorrow.

But, I wanted to ask a few questions first:

1. We don't think that it will keep the gun from firing but, I thought I'd ask here whether anyone knows if it will or not?

2. Also, does anyone know why this might happen?

Everything is included and original including the display box, 3 weights, weight attachment, screw driver tool, ejection pin, shell holders and the gun itself. The serial number indeed has a "T" in it signifying that it is a genuine Medalist frame and not a Challenger "U" frame.

However, the main hand grip has been replaced with an aftermarket grip that does not match the grip on the barrel. I was able to talk the price down because of this from $1000 to $750. I know of a place where I can order an original walnut grip for $350.

So, what do you think? Should I "pull the trigger" and buy it? (pun intended) ;-)

Regards,

Joe Zulaski
    Redmond, WA
  2. I think I found the answer (on another forum). I'm going to try this to see if it works later today when I pick up the Medalist. If it is correct, I am buying the pistol.

The way to get the Dry Fire switch back into the Safety mode is as follows:

1. Pull up on the switch.
    2. Then pull out.
    3. Then pull back.

I was just trying to pull back.

Apparently, this was done so that the shooter couldn't inadvertently knock the switch back into Safety mode as that leaves it cocked and ready to fire. To engage the Safety, one still needs to move the switch up.

FYI: A lot of competition shooters will simply remove the Dry Fire/Safety switch altogether.

Regards,

Joe Zulaski
  3. I was wrong. It is:

1. While in Dry Fire mode, push the switch down until it clicks and is ready to dry fire.
    2. Then, with fore-finger and thumb, pull the switch out.
    3. Then, lift the switch up.
    4. Then, pull the switch back into Safety mode.

It works.

So, I bought the gun for $750 (which is a steal). The case and everything in it is emaculate. I don't even think its been fired. Even the case is perfect (no marks, looks brand new).

The only thing wrong is the main hand grip is an aftermarket grip. But, I can get an original grip for $350 so, I went for it.

I've seen similar Medalist packages go for $1600. I really feel lucky. Can't wait to try it out.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Joseph !!

Post a picture of your "new" Medalist...
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Nice lookin' firearm...first time I actually seen one.
  6. First time I've ever seen one in person too. ;-)

I knew about them, having read some articles but, I'd never seen one in "the flesh" or held one. Once I did, I was hooked.

LOL
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

It's really is a nice lookin' piece...

have you tried some WD-40 penetrating oil on the stuck part...leave it saturated for a few minutes and see if it will unfreeze ( rust ? )...
  8. It's not really "stuck". It just wasn't apparent how to manipulate the switch (i.e., didn't know about the push out, then up, then back steps).

But, then I read about that on a forum and found those instructions in the Owner's manual.

However, I think that is a good idea. It might make it easier to manipulate.

BTW, I ran a couple of cleaning patches with solvent (and then oil) through the barrel and damn, there wasn't a bit of powder residue or anything. It was clean as a whistle.

I'm not sure that this thing has ever been fired (although the presence of an aftermarket grip seems to imply that it has been fired).

All in all, I'm very happy with it. Going to take it out this weekend and get it sighted in and have some fun.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Have a blast Joe...
  10. Well, it's all it was advertised to be - a tack driver.

I only shot two magazines worth of 22's but, that was enough to let me know that it is one sweet little pistol.

I also took my Ruger SR22 and fired a few rounds through it. It is also a tack driver (in single-action mode).

Got to shoot my Daniel Defense AR-15 on the 100/200 yd range too. Just some factory rounds. Going to be working up some re-loads for it (6.8 SPC) in the coming weeks.

Overall, having a lot of fun shooting.
  11. Update: I found a stock Medalist grip for $250. Here is a picture with the stock grip. As stated previously, everything (box, pistol, etc.) are perfect. I picked up some spare parts (firing pin, springs, magazine latch).

Medalist1.jpg
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looks great Joe !!