A5 3 1/2 Speed loading issue

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Justin Frauenheim, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Justin Frauenheim

Justin Frauenheim Copper BB

Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I just purchased my first auto loading shotgun and it is the new A5. I am currently having issues with the speed loader where it is not loading any size of shell. When I first got it the speed loader would work every now and then, now it has stopped working completely. I have tried 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch shells and nothing is working. Any suggestions.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

What exactly does it do when you load a shell?
  3. Justin Frauenheim

It won't stay in the tube or anything the spring pushes it back out.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It's not supposed to stay in the tube--it's supposed to jump into the chamber and trip the bolt closed. That's if you started with the bolt locked back. With the bolt closed, Speed Load doesn't apply, the shells are supposed to stay in the magazine. Is it possible that your Magazine Cutoff was inadvertently turned on?
  5. Justin Frauenheim

I understand what it's suppose to do. The bold is locked back when I try this and it will not jump the shell into the chamber. Yes it could be possible. I don't even know what that is. How do I check.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]

Pictured is the receiver of a 1924 vintage 16 gauge Auto-5. While mechanically very different, I believe the cutoff is very similar. That's the switch at the lower left of the picture. When forward, the gun works normally. When flipped back, the gun acts as a single shot, and no shells get in or out of the mag.

It's a very handy feature. If you're hunting and have to cross a fence, instead of unloading all the shells you can flip that switch and just take out the chambered round. If you're loaded for duck and spot a goose, you can switch to a goose load PDQ.

The Magazine Cutoff has been a feature of Brownings since 1904.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I'm guessing that solved your problem. A little feedback would be appreciated!
  8. Justin Frauenheim

No sorry it didn't solve the problem. I sent the gun to a gunsmith. Thanks tho
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Justin !!

Please let us know how your gunsmith resolves your issue...thanks.