Browning B78

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Charlieb68, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

I have a B78 with serial # 1976Wxx. Can anyone tell me if this would be Belgian or Japanese. I can't read the barrel because of the custom scope mount holding the Kahles scope. I'm betting Belgium since it appears to have much better fit and finish than my m1885.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

My guess would be Belgian.
  3. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

Browning B78- Bicentennial model serial number 1976Wxx chambered in 30.06 Scoped with an Austrian Kahles 2.2-9X42 includes custom hard case-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Setters4life likes this.
  4. d.a.r.y.l

d.a.r.y.l Copper BB

I have had several B-78's over the years and was not aware that any were made any place other than Japan.By the way that's a fine looking piece.Rather unusual mounting for the front of the scope. D*
  5. lfnel

lfnel Copper BB

About what would be a fair price these days for a NIB B-78, unfired, 45-70, 24" full octagon barrel, deep-crescent steel buttplate?
  6. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

I finally got a chance to go to the range with this beauty.

The scope and mounts are made in Austria by Kahles.

Shooting from the bench, the first trigger pull resulted in a clay pigeon resting on the berm at 284 yards being turned to dust, the second, third, fourth and fifth shot also resulted in dusted clay pigeons as well.

Ammo was factory Federal 180grn soft points, you know the vintage ones in the red plastic holder with belt loops.

The trigger pull is crisp and clean at 2lbs 12oz.

Turned it over to my shooting partner and he dusted 4 of 5 clay birds at the same distance.

Great day at the range.
  7. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

Picked up a Belgium Browning BAR 30.06 and a B92 16" 44Mag today. It was a good day for trading guns.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Awesome Charlie...how about some pictures of those beauties...!?
  9. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

Will get them up this weekend.
  10. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

B92 16" 44mag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

looks like you picked up a beautiful browning Charlie!! good luck with it.

BTK
  12. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

Anybody got any information on how many 16" B92s were made in 44mag. I've never seen another in person, seen plenty in other barrel lengths though.
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Fine lookin' firearm Charlie !!
  14. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

unfortunately I had to sell the B92 Carbine to put a new engine in the Firebird. Luckily I still have my B78 and BAR 30.06, and a "few" other Brownings.
  15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

What year is the Firebird...!?

I had a 1979 Camaro Z-28 for over 25 years before selling it...
  16. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

1999 Firebird- Bought it for my son's 16th Birthday. Got the engine in and it is purring like a kitten, when you punch it- it roars likes a lion

I prefer the older Trans Am , Firebird, Camaro & Z28s but couldn't pass up this one it was a good deal with the blown engine and the body and interior looked really good.

Might have to sell some more to keep tires and gas in it.

Charles
  17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yea...I heard that Charles !!
  18. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum JJ...!!

...not sure on your question...but, I would believe the letter, as they would know.