HELP...Live round stuck in my A-Bolt 7mm!!!

Discussion in 'Browning A-Bolt Rifle' started by Ldogmiller, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Ldogmiller

Ldogmiller Copper BB

Hi all,
    Thanks in advance for your help.. I recently acquired a sweet A-Bolt 7mm in a gun trade, and the origonal owner has shot less than a box and from the looks of it...I think they are being honest. I cleaned the gun upon ownership...and I have to admit the 3 lugged bolt was a short brain teaser. I took the gun out today for the first time with a box of Remington 150 gn High Velocity Core Lokt Soft Points...which I had acquired also with the gun. I dated the gun to be man. in 1993...so I am guessing the ammo to be from the same close period. the ammo looks a little aged, but doesn't appear to be in unusable condition. I proceeded to load 3 rounds in the clip and slipped one in thru the chamber...then proceed to lock down the bolt. The Bolt, would not complete into the lock position...so I ejected that round (which seemed to now have the nose slightly smashed in on one side) and tried to chamber a round round. the second round also did not engage fully and would not allow me to lock the bolt down. As I tried to open the bolt on this round...the bolt appeared to be ceased (jammed). after carefully triple checking the safety...I brought the gun home, where I tapped the bolt lightly with a padded handle of a pair of pliers...and have been able to get the bolt into the full "up position"...BUT I still cannot seem to get the bolt to come back. The "cocking indicator" is showing red...and I still have the safety in the on position. So, I have a live round stuck in my 7 mm A-Bolt...does anyone please have any sound advice. Also, I have not found this in the online manual...does the safety need to be in the "F=firing" position for the bolt to now come back? I have tried to pul the bolt back with the safety OFF...however I am scared to try and tap the bolt backwards...with the safety off. The last thing I want to do is send a live round thru my garage door and into my neighborhood...AND...I am afraid the gun may fire with the bolt in the up position...sending it flying backwards, or doing damage to the receiver...or just exploding in my face. ANY HELP is GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU
    ( IMG_6836.JPG IMG_6836.JPG IMG_6836.JPG IMG_6837.JPG IMG_6839.JPG IMG_6840.JPG p.s. including a few pictures of the first round, and the bolt as it is now)
  2. Ldogmiller

Ldogmiller Copper BB

OK, I feel like a dumb ass...but after searching the web for about another hour after my post, I read somewhere that the bolt can only be opened with the safety in the OFF position. I was able to get the live round out...and everything seems to be fine. It could also be possible that I have the safety in the on position before I attempted to lock the bolt closed...maybe that is why I could not get the bolt to close? I will check over the weekend. Just thought I would mention all this in case their is another "rookie" who can benefit from reading it! Thanks
  3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey Miller, thanks for posting the pics and update on how you figured it out. I can guarantee you are not the first to have that issue. All the best.

BTK
  4. Ldogmiller

Ldogmiller Copper BB

Thanks Billy...I appreciate the words of wisdom! Have a great weekend buddy-
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Glad it worked out for you...lesson learned !
  6. Ldogmiller

Ldogmiller Copper BB

Thank you Shooter 13!
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I own a Remington 700BDL chambered for 7mm Rem Mag...one of the great all around rifle cartridges.
  8. nitesite

nitesite .410

Glad you have things looking better, and welcome to the forum!