HELP! First BLR advice

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by hoser, Apr 2, 2014.

1. hoser

hoser Copper BB

Hi all. First post and BLR newbie. I'll probably stick with 308 for caliber simplicity. Looking for advice on buying my first BLR and would love some quick advice on pros and cons of each.

1. Belgium vs Japan
    2. Takedown vs non
    3. Can someone explain the whole BLR vs 81 or pre 81?
    4. Steel vs Aluminum
    5. Opinions on the new folding hammer
    6. Pistol vs straight grip

I know this is BLR 101, but I'm glad to find this forum for honest, experienced information!
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum hoser!!
  3. Kim

Kim Copper BB

I have previously owned a Belgium made BLR in 308, a Miroku BLR in 358 Winchester, '81 lightweight (alloy receiver) in .223 and .270. I currently own a '81 BLR in .284 Win. The finish on the stock is far superior on the Japanese model. The Belgium model had the checkering filled in with whatever was used for the finish and it looks that way on many more Belgium made BLR's that I have looked at. Also, the stock in-letting is much better on the Miroku. The final polish on the metal is also better on the Miroku making the bluing richer in appearance. I know I will get chastised for declaring the Japanese gun Superior to a Belgium made gun but if you take a look at both side by side you will be hard pressed to argue objectively.

Of the BLR's I've owned, only one, the .223 had the hinged hammer. I have no preference, they both work fine but I think it is unnecessary and just complicate manufacturing.

As for straight stock vs. pistol grip, I also like the straight stock. I don't know that it feels any better, it just looks better to me but that is a subjective opinion. Shoulder both types and buy what you like.

Like "Buck D Law" said, You can't go wrong. These are accurate, quick handling, well made and well fitting rifles.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Kim !!
  5. Kim

Kim Copper BB

Thanks shooter, I'm glad I found you guys.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. hoser

hoser Copper BB

I'm sure the BLR's are much more accurate than other lever guns, but how does accuracy compare with most stock bolt guns? Are both Japan and Belgium rifles equal in accuracy and reliability?
  7. Kim

Kim Copper BB

The 223 I owned i hesitate to tell you how well it shot as it was one of the most accurate rifles I've owned, consistent 1/2 MOA shooter. The 284 I currently own will keep all shots within 1.5 to 1.75 inches, the 358 win. was a 2" grouper. This may not be bench rest accuracy but I didn't develop loads any better than that because that was all I needed for the intended game and distances shot. I'm sure the potential was there for better but that is about the same as I got with factory ammo with those guns anyway.
  8. florizark

florizark Copper BB

Ditto above. While just about any platform can be tuned to perform to your needs, the lever in general is a working gun, that might be modified into a bench rest shooter. I have as many deer heads mounted from bolt, lever, single shot. I like the original design even with the " pregnant" look, but the older guns are getting more expensive, regardless which side of the pond they are made. I like the straight stock, but have not tried the pistol grip. Accuracy is a lot better than you would imagine from a non-bolt gun and even scoped mine seems to carry easier than my other rifles even though they weigh about the same. Maybe its just all the cowboy movies we saw but the lever guns just seem to fit better. Lastly, I have experienced good and bad from guns off the shelf, some had to be almost given away to prevent more headaches, but you will go a long way to find a better all around basic gun. The newer ones offer some extra options so shop around and don't get in a hurry. Let us know what you decide, don't be alarmed if you develop an addiction, the only thing worse than owning a BLR is not owning another one.
  9. SOG

SOG .22LR

Both the BLR 81 in .308 and newer takedown in .300 WSM are tack drivers. Both are just as accurate as my A-Bolt's. The .308 has a steel receiver and the takedown is aluminum alloyed. Both have straight stock on them and I don't notice any difference in the recoil of either Caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk