Late type 3 12 gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Jta5er, May 24, 2022.

1. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I think the older ones look better. He has a grade II for sale also. Think he is reaching for the stars.
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
  3. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I like the older stuff, but that engraving pattern looks similar to the pigeon gun in SV.
    That pattern would be sweet on a straight stock 16 with 28” vent rib. Looks like the engraving pattern had been used over several decades on different special types?
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I need to get one of those damn books so I can see all that.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Interesting. I see the date on the certificate of identification is 1991. But the box says Made in Belgium, and appears to be dated 1971. That makes sense because by 1991 all production had been moved to Japan. And there’s CS where the date code should be. I’m sure that stands for Custom Shop.

It could be that this Auto-5 was made by the Custom Shop, like they do for the Superposed at ridiculously high prices. I think I’ll pass.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nice gun. However if it were me selling it I’d it some better pictures
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Jta5er have look at old post back on page 5 “what am I looking at” this one had the similar engraving to the pigeon gun also which caught my eye at the time.
  8. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Yep grade 3 nice one
  9. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Sorry type 3
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

I believe, especially looking at the square stock knob, that it might be is a 1971. Could the certificate, issued in 1991, just confirmed that this Browning is a type 3.
    Rudolph31 likes this.