A5 recoil spring identification.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I bought a box of A5 parts today. It had a bunch of various parts, from original 2nd and 3rd generation butt plates to a couple of early magazine caps. A whole bunch of screws, small parts, etc. Anyway........included is a healthy handful of recoil springs. All are in a bag with "new" written on the bag. I could pick out the 12 gauge ones as those all measured 9 1/8"--9 1/4"( or so). There was another healthy handful of springs which a bit more variation in length (up to 5/16" difference), and a smaller diameter. I am guessing 16/20 gauge. Can anyone tell me what the "new" length is supposed to be for a 16/20 gauge spring? And, I guess I got ahead of myself----is a 16 and a 20 gauge spring the same spring? I see them sold under the same listings, so I guessed they are one in the same.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

Bill, I thought that I was the only one that was buying Browning auto 5 parts. I got lately, two receivers, a trigger group with all the inside parts of a receiver and finally two 3 inches magnum ventilated barrels. Unfortunately I can’t help you with the 16/20 gauge spring. When you say second generation buttplate, do you mean the first one on the pic? 74B38669-77E9-4929-8817-AB5EF2B69169.jpeg
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

The one on the left looks like a 2nd, gen, but I can't tell regarding the one on the right. It could be a 1st or 3rd. Is it bone or rubber?
    I did get a 30-something inch 12 gauge-3"mag modfied (!!) barrel in the lot. I might toss that on one of my magnum rigs (I was able to set up reliably for light loads) and try a round of sporting clays!
    And there were about three or four of each 2nd and 3rd gen plates. All of them looked REALLY good. I have been perusing through the various website hoping to find a "new" length, but so far-----zilch.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

5. Biz

Biz 20g

The right one is the 3rd generation. As you probably know, the first generation is extremely rare, it is made of hard rubber and it is very easy to recognize. I am very fortunate to have four. Here on this pic you can see the front and the back.
    BTW, I don’t know what you refer to by a "new length" in your last sentence?
    CA7A7A32-65B8-4DFB-A57A-4F3A85C22379.jpeg
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  7. Never saw this before. Curious what my 1977 and 1979 measure at compared to my 1953. I have compared side by side but not measured. Side by side is over an inch shorter with the 1953 spring.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Installing a new spring will make an old gun new again.
    utbrowningman likes this.