A-Bolt is difficult to open & lube points

Discussion in 'Browning A-Bolt Rifle' started by WINMAG, Jan 28, 2013.

1. WINMAG

WINMAG Copper BB

The bolt on my .338 Win Mag stainless is difficult to open. It is the same after firing factory or reloads. It is also the same after a dry fire. The bolt will not open under the weight of the rifle by it self, I have to really hang on and force it open. I have pulled the bolt apart, cleaned and re greased all the areas that were greased from the factory. Is a grease the best thing to use in between the bolt body and the outer sleeve as well as on the threads? Also, should I be greasing/ lubing the firing pin spring?

Should I pull the sleeve off and Flitz the inner bolt?
    Should I lap the lugs?
    I use Sinclair bolt grease.
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey sorry to hear about the issue. Do you notice any particular wear on any of the moving parts? it should move with ease, how old is the A-bolt? does it only hang up after your fire the trigger or does it also hang up when your a trying to move the A-Bolt in/out regardless. I use Frog lube for all my firearms and apply it to pretty much every internal moving part on the gun. you can try to lap the lugs but sounds like you have a more serious problem than simply increasing the contact of the bolt.
  3. talkinghorse

talkinghorse .22LR

I have the same exact problem...White Gold Medallion (Stainless) in .30-06. I have to tug really hard on the bolt to get it to open. This happens only after firing, either with a live round or dry fire, regardless of temperature. At first I thought the safety was on, but it wasn't...the bolt almost felt as though it was locked. I tried calling Browing Service, but they were totally non-responsive...couldn't get thru to them and they did not return the several messages I left. With less than 20 rounds fired thru the rifle, I'm hoping it just has to get broken in...I've had a number of bolt action rifles in my lifetime and this is the only one that has done this.

Anyone else have this issue, and perhaps a solution?
  4. Billythekid

hey talkinghorse, welcome to the browning owners community!! do you notice any wear marks on the bolt action? When i had bought a remington 700 awhile back and I remembering it being extremely stiff when trying to releae the bolt action after firing. It took about 100 rounds and alot of frog lube until it became smooth.
  5. talkinghorse

talkinghorse .22LR

Thanks! I look forward to learning and contributing.

Concerning your question, I do not see any visible wear marks on the bolt. Since this occurs only after having pulled the trigger, when opening the bolt is "cocking" the rifle, I was thinking perhaps it was internal to the bolt. I can raise the bolt freely if the trigger hasn't been pulled.

How can I lube the bolt?
  6. Billythekid

in terms of lube, i was refering more to the bolt stop button and the bolt retainer spring. So when you fire a round, you cant even release the bolt to eject the case? maybe the firing pin spring is getting stuck, causing the bolt to stay in a locked position. Like you said, ,try to lube the bolt internals and see if it helps.

BTK
  7. talkinghorse

talkinghorse .22LR

Correct. After firing a round or even a dry fire the bolt handle is extremely difficult to raise...and I mean extremely difficult. It sounds like the same issue winmag is having with his. Just working the action without having pulled the trigger seems to be normal. I've never had the need to disassemble a bolt, but I would imagine others have and details should be available on this site or elsewhere on the web.
  8. Billythekid

9. talkinghorse

talkinghorse .22LR

10. Ontarget

Ontarget Copper BB

Recently I was reading a article and it mentioned a bolt lock. Not sure how it worked, it appeared to be on the front side on the side of the bolt.
    I tried to find the read but had no luck.
  11. Ryukin

Ryukin Copper BB

Hello fellow browning owners, I've just recently purchased my first browning- an a-bolt II .308 caliber. I am having this exact same problem, and my rifle is brand new. Not a single shot fired out of my a bolt. I too have been playing with my bolt and before firing the bolt action is smooth. After a dry fire the bolt is extremely tight, and the handle will only lift with two hands gripping the rifle. I'm very disappointed as this is my first browning purchase and I'm pretty soured about the purchase already. I doubt it is a break in issue, as I've greased and oiled the bolt quite a bit to possibly release any friction issue since it is brand new and unfired. Since this thread is older, I'm hoping the gentlemen that were having this issue had it corrected and could lead me in the right direction! Please any help would be appreciated, I love the rifle other than this major issue.
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not sure what to say...I have never even handled an A-Bolt.

Does it have a safety that has to be dis-engaged...?

If it were mine...and a brand new rifle...I would take it back to the point of purchase and ask them to either show me why it doesn't work properly...replace it ...or refund my money...

Never had any new rifle purchase not work straight from the box...lubed or not.
  14. Ryukin

Ryukin Copper BB

Thanks for some input, after firing the a Bolt it does not have a safety to engage to lift the bolt. The handle does uncock the firing pin back to its firing position, and I feel as if this is the issue, or the cocking indicator which disappears once fired, is also returned upon lifting the handle which could be another issue. I've looked online at schematics to disassemble the bolt but you're right it's brand new I do not feel I should have to lube/service it immediately. I purchased this rifle from bass pro and they have a strict no return policy on firearms here in Canada. But I will be calling the store tommorow to complain. Also emailed browning but they are only avail mon-fri to answer customer service inquiries. So disappointing!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  15. Ryukin

Ryukin Copper BB

Did you get this problem corrected what was the issue?
  16. Ryukin

Ryukin Copper BB

Did you have this problem corrected? What was the issue?
  17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Old thread my friend...you may be waiting for a reply from those guys.
  18. talkinghorse

talkinghorse .22LR

Yes, sorry, I took a nap...a long one.

The problem I was having with the bolt handle seems to have worked itself out. I bought a couple snap caps for it and cycled it through (chamber round , dry fire, eject, etc) a few dozen times. Seems pretty normal now. I know Steyr had a very similar problem with their Pro-Hunters and there was a cam inside the bolt that was binding...it was replaced free of charge. Perhaps Browning had a similar problem. Bottom line is that mine is much better now after it was cycled a few dozen times.