A restoration or a renovation

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, May 15, 2022.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Interesting. That is pretty cool. My E.M. Riley in 16 has the sliding lever. It takes a little getting used to with hammers involved but it's doable.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  2. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Is it EL or E.M Riley ?
  3. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Sorry fat fingered that one. E.M. Corrected also
  5. Ranger6

6. Biz

Biz 20g

Those are beautiful juxtaposed shotgun. I wish I could participate to the discussion, regrettably I am not knowledgeable about those beauties. But I am interested to learn more about them.
  7. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Latest restoration returned,Daly Lindner 12 185
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    KyBoB, win7stw and Ranger6 like this.
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

Quite impressive, congratulations. Who did the restoration? Do you have pics of before.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Cole was right. That color case hardening did turn out great. That gun is beautiful. I may need one like that
  10. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Wood was repaired, refinished and also widows peak leather pad(stock had not been cut) all by Dennis Earl Smith( the stock doctor). Mechanical work and metal finish was done by Cole Haugh. Dean Harris( Skeets ) honed the barrels (.002 ) and checked thickness (never had been honed but forcing cones lengthened) first thing when I received it.
    This gun had a cracked stock, missing but plate ( had pach white line widowed), plumb brown barrels and no finish left. It was really inexpensive at 1200.00 so I took a chance and the sellers shipped it in the London best case I mentioned before. After selling the case I have about 2500.00 in the gun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Ranger6

Jta5er:
    How about some pictures of that widow’s peak now, as I’m sure you had it correctly done. That’s pretty funny that someone just put a butt pad on it like that.
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

What kind of finish on the wood
  13. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Timber lux oil type, close to original. Everything is original except trigger guard is blue vs cch. Cole said it was to thin to mess with cch the trigger guard. But screws that were supposed to be fire blued or charcoal blued are. Close as I could get without sending out to 5yr wait gunmaker.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Damn it I’m going to have to try Timber lux after all
  15. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I know it’s sound crazy but this leather pad was the most expensive piece of the entire restoration, more than all metal work and more than stock repair and refinish. It was 750.00
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.
  16. Biz

Biz 20g

You are like the client that I love to serve in my woodworking shop. The beautiful details that make the difference. What is so special about that pad? For 750,00$ they must be a good reason. Educate us.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Ask Ranger why the pad cost $750
    Ranger6 likes this.
  18. Ranger6

I can answer that, super sexy. Let me say that again " Super Sexy". Damn that's a good-looking pad. I am super jealous but makes me feel good that it was very expensive, not for Jta5er, but that means it takes lots of work and my failed attempt stings a little less. There is nothing better as eye candy then that pad. It serves no other reason better than a normal pad, however, for a classic sxs its attention to detail.
  19. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Didn’t have much choice I needed a widows peak and to bring it to exactly 14 3/8” my lop with a vest or jacket. So I figure might as well get it done with the best. I’m very happy I did.
  20. Ranger6

What kind of leather is that? I'm going to guess and say pig skin.